An Education Covenant of Partnership
Continuing 250 years of commitment to church-related education, the Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church, the National Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities of The United Methodist Church, and The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church commit to this education covenant as partners in mutual service and support.
As evidence of our commitment to a vibrant and meaningful relationship between the educational institutions and the church, we will:
- CREATE an inclusive and celebrative atmosphere that nurtures and supports the faith journeys of students, faculty, and staff;
- UPHOLD the vital principle of academic freedom where there is open and honest pursuit of knowledge and wisdom without restriction and with respect for the integrity of each educational institution and the church;
- STRESS through teachings and example the worth and dignity of each person, an emphasis on voluntary community service, and concern for international relations;
- PREPARE students, regardless of social standing, ethnic identity or gender, for lives of intellectual vigor, moral integrity, and spiritual fulfillment, not just as personal benefit, but for leadership in a new century;
- PROVIDE support and service to each other wherever appropriate and mutually agreed upon;
- AFFIRM this relation between the church and the educational institutions openly and with pride in our mutual history and shared potential for the future;
Endorsing this Education Covenant of Partnership, we, the representatives of the church and the educational institutions, affirm one another and pledge our support to provide quality education and to be more vital and vibrant faith communities as we prepare individuals for lives of committed service.
Passed by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, May 2000.
Last updated 16 May 2000