VA Benefits at Centenary College

More information can be found on our Barksdale Page.

The following VA Benefits can be used at Centenary:
- Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill)
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)
- Chapter 35 (Dependent's Education Assistance)
- Chapter 1606 (Reserve GI Bill)

You may find extensive VA Education Benefit information on the GI Bill website. The first step in receiving VA Benefits is to apply directly through the Veterans Administration. Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, you should send a copy of that to the Centenary Financial Aid Office. VA Benefits may be used for both undergraduate and graduate work.

Important Information for Transfer Students: You must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). This gives the VA the information of your intent to transfer to Centenary.

Centenary College does not participate in the advance payment program. Chapters 31, 33 and the Yellow Ribbon Program are the only chapters of the GI Bill that pay the college directly for tuition and fees. All of the other chapters pay the student monthly and in arrears. As a result, the student is responsible for paying all tuition and fees upfront.

Yellow Ribbon Program

(for Undergraduate Students)

Centenary College of Louisiana is honored to be a Yellow Ribbon School!

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay up to $21,085 for 2015-16 towards your tuition at Centenary. Under the Yellow Ribbon agreement,Centenary will then contribute up to 50% of the remaining tuition expense, and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match that amount. This means that 100% of your tuition will be paid for at Centenary! The Department of Veterans Affairs will also pay you a monthly housing allowance and up to $1000 stipend for books & supplies. Detailed information about the Yellow Ribbon Program can be found at Yellow Ribbon. Since this program pays 100% of your tuition, students who are awarded through this program are not eligible for any other institutional scholarships at Centenary.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Entitlement: Who is Eligible?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate-100% (based on service requirements) may receive Yellow Ribbon benefits. We strongly encourage you to review the eligibility criteria directly from the VA's Post-9/11 Website. These individuals can transfer their benefits to their dependents (TEB). For more information visit the TEB Website.

How Do I Apply for Yellow Ribbon Benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Interested students should complete and submit the application form available online. You will receive written notification explaining the VA's decision regarding your eligibility for the program. If you are eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that specifies you are "potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program." Eligible students who plan on using Yellow Ribbon Program benefits at Centenary College should complete the Centenary Yellow Ribbon Application when they apply for admission.

Application Steps:
—Veteran applies for Post-9/11 Benefits using VA link above
—if veteran is the parent, parent transfers benefits to student using VA link above
—student then applies for benefits using VA link above
—submit copy of COE and Centenary YR Application to Financial Aid Office

Important Information for Active Duty personnel and spouses of acive duty personnel: Effective October 1, 2011 active duty personnel and spouses of active duty personnel are not eligilbe for the Yellow Ribbon Program or the housing allowance.

How will I know if I have received the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit from Centenary College?

If you are eligible for a Yellow Ribbon award, it will be part of your financial aid package in accordance with all federal, state and institutional rules and regulations.

How is this benefit applied to my student account?

The Centenary College portion of your Yellow Ribbon award will credit to your account once you meet all enrollment and disbursement requirements. The VA match of your Yellow Ribbon award will issue payment directly to the College on your behalf after your enrollment certification is processed by the VA.