FYE is designed to introduce students to:
- the diverse modes of inquiry that characterize the liberal arts
- multidisciplinary research processes
- the basic research, analysis, writing and speaking skills essential to good scholarship and professional and public discourse
The course begins with an exploration of the varied approaches to investigation pursued within the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Students work to understand the different kinds of knowledge produced by each. Working with their burgeoning knowledge tools, students will then practice applying new skills by engaging in an extensive, multidisciplinary research project requiring them to:
- develop a research question;
- research, analyze, synthesize, and document information;
- construct and defend an answer to their research question; and
- disseminate their findings in both oral and written discourse.
Through this process, students should not only learn key research and communication skills, but they also come to recognize the value of analyzing a particular issue or topic using multiple processes of inquiry.