Effective Date: 06/01/95
To establish a uniform number of holidays and define payment of holidays for employees consistent with the area practice so as to provide employees with time off from work or payment for work during celebration periods during the year.
- Centenary College shall recognize the following days as holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Good Friday
- Independence Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Additional non-duty days may be designated by the President during the year.
- All regular employees on the active payroll will qualify for holiday pay for the days listed above in accordance with the following provisions:
- Employees must work their normally scheduled work hours on the days immediately preceding and following the holiday. Exception: If an employee is absent on one or both such days with an excused absence he/she will receive holiday pay. An employee who is scheduled for work on a holiday and fails to work that schedule will not receive holiday pay except where a supervisor excuses such an absence and the employee has otherwise qualified for holiday pay by working the scheduled day prior to and after the holiday.
- Pay for an unworked holiday will be made at the employee's current rate of pay for a scheduled day's work, not to exceed eight (8) hours.
- Pay for a holiday worked shall be made at the employee's current rate of pay for the scheduled number of hours worked at straight time plus the holiday payment outlined in 2b, or another day may be taken at the employee's request and with the approval of his/her supervisor.
- Any holiday falling within a period of an employee's sick leave shall be considered holiday leave and shall not be deducted from the employee's accrued sick leave.
- Any holiday falling within a period of an employee's vacation leave shall be considered holiday leave and shall not be deducted from the employee's accrued vacation leave. The vacation day may be taken immediately prior to or following the employee's vacation period at his/her election with the approval of his/her supervisor.
- The time off and/or payment for time worked on a non-duty day shall be treated the same as holiday pay and/or time off.
Last updated 20 July 2000