|Division:||Finance & Administration|
|Reports To:||Vice President for Finance & Administration|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt - Full-time|
|Schedule Variation:||12 months of year - 40 regular scheduled hours per week|
|Benefits Eligibility:||Full Benefits|
|Prepared By:||Department of Human Resources|
|Approved Date:||January 2014|
Directs, coordinates and participates in specific projects and activities related to the financial operations of Centenary College.
- Responsible for the overall operations of the College's Business Office. This includes providing direction and management of assigned college financial operations to encompass student accounts/loans receivable, accounts payable and general ledger.
- Establishes and maintains new or existing accounts using generally acceptable accounting principles; prepares journal entries; maintains account listing. Takes lead role in support of the financial module of the Banner enterprise system.
- Oversees all college funds assuring moneys are properly applied, income posted and expenses monitored. Coordinates gift recognition with Advancement office.
- Compiles fiscal reports and GAAP financial statements and provides to College Administrators and external auditors; explains financial and accounting business and procedures; assists departments in resolving problems with financial information.
- Monitors GAAP pronouncements and analyzes impact on the College. Stays current on financial and accounting matters in the industry.
- Creates and maintains sound accounting processes and controls.
- Serves as primary liaison with external auditors during conduct of Centenary's annual audit.
- Oversees preparation of IRS Form 990 information tax return as well as unrelated business income activities and taxes.
- Monitors grants and contracts; prepares and furnishes statistical information to agencies; prepares reports for federal and state agencies.
- Reviews endowment accounts; ensures investment income is assigned to the proper account; monitors investment returns.
- Oversees the cash and investment management activities of the College, including monitoring cash balances to ensure funds are available for operating purposes and also depositing, withdrawing and rebalancing the investment accounts to comply with the College's investment policies. Processes and reports all necessary investment transfers.
- Invests excess short-term funds. Interfaces with College's investment consultant for monitoring purposes.
- Interfaces with the Financial Administration Group (primarily Audit and Endowment & Investment) of the Board of Trustees.
- Directs the personnel activities of the Business Office to include hiring, disciplining, training, merit recommendations, promotions and transfers.
- Resolves student billing issues related to students/parents that occasionally arise.
- Oversees fiscal management activities during registration, including collection of tuition and fees, distribution of receipts and balancing accounts. Assists with cashiering activities as needed during peak periods.
- Monitors compliance with bond covenants.
- Supports the Vice President for Finance & Administration in budget monitoring and controls.
- Other related projects, duties and responsibilities may be assigned as deemed necessary
Senior Accountant, Junior Accountant, Bursar, AP Coordinator, student interns (workers).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting and 5 years related accounting experience or advanced degree and 3 years of related experience.
- Must be people-oriented individual, have good communication skills, and the ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Well organized and self-motivated.
- Computer skills should include word processing, spreadsheets, email, and database applications.
- Experience with Excel and Access.
- Must be able to fulfill job requirements in a high-energy, high-traffic area.
- CMA or CPA.
- Managing an external audit of a non-profit organization, or private college or university is also desirable.
- Experience with SunGard SCT Banner software in a private college financial management position is highly desirable.
- Experience at a selective, residential, Liberal Arts College.
Candidates are invited to visit the College’s website at www.centenary.edu/jobs.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Director of Human Resources
Centenary College of Louisiana
2911 Centenary Boulevard
Shreveport, LA 71104
Centenary College of Louisiana is a selective, residential, national liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Founded in 1825, it is the oldest chartered liberal arts college west of the Mississippi river and is a member of the Associated Colleges of the South.
Centenary recognizes that diversity is essential to its goal of providing an educational experience where students explore the unfamiliar, invent new approaches to understanding, and connect their work and lives to the world at large. We thus welcome applicants who would add to the College’s diversity of ideas, beliefs, experiences, and cultural backgrounds. EOE