Assistant Professor of Psychology
|Reports To:||Provost and Dean of the College|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt– Fulltime|
|Schedule Variation:||9 months of year|
|Benefits Eligibility:||Full Benefits|
|Prepared By:||Department of Human Resources|
|Approved Date:||August 2013|
Centenary College of Louisiana seeks a tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Psychology to begin fall term 2014 in the Psychology Department.
To teach introductory and upper level psychology courses. The normal teaching load is 12 credit hours per semester.
Job duties include:
- Developing and teaching upper-division courses in areas of expertise, including, but not limited to, clinical or counseling psychology.
- Engaging undergraduate students in legitimate research experiences in the classroom in support of the department’s mission.
- Exploring opportunities for collaborative research with faculty in the College’s neuroscience program (house in the Biology Department) and the local LSU Health Shreveport.
- Pursuing funding opportunities, capitalizing on the College’s high success rate in securing funds for teaching and research.
- Adhering to Centenary College’s rigorous standards for faculty members as referenced in Section 7 of the Faculty Handbook, which currently includes:
- They are expected above all to strive for excellence in the classroom.
- They are to place student advising among their most important tasks.
- They are both encouraged and expected to grow professionally. Professional growth is evidenced by traditional scholarly research within a discipline and by the exploration of issues relating to pedagogy. These academic enterprises may take the form of scholarly publications, participation in professional organizations, public performances, and other creative accomplishments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Doctorate in related field is required.
- Candidates must possess demonstrable skills in, and commitment to, undergraduate teaching and research.
- Undergraduate teaching experience.
- Expertise in clinical or counseling psychology.
- Experience with a selective, residential, liberal arts college.
To apply, send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching and research, unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher learning, and three letters of recommendation to:
Director of Human Resources
Centenary College of Louisiana
2911 Centenary Boulevard
Shreveport, LA 71104
Candidates are invited to visit the College’s website at www.centenary.edu/jobs.
Centenary College of Louisiana is a selective, residential, national liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Founded in 1825, it is the oldest chartered liberal arts college west of the Mississippi river and is a member of the Associated Colleges of the South.
Centenary recognizes that diversity is essential to its goal of providing an educational experience where students explore the unfamiliar, invent new approaches to understanding, and connect their work and lives to the world at large. We thus welcome applicants who would add to the College’s diversity of ideas, beliefs, experiences, and cultural backgrounds. EOE