If you can read this message, your browser likely does not support web standards. Though you will be able to use this site, you will not see the site as intended.

Student Government Association

Senate Meeting Minutes

October 25, 2005

I. Attendance
1. Call to order
Meeting called to order at 8:33pm
Attendance
||Senator|| Attendance
||Sen. Cook|| P
||Sen.Hafer|| P
||Sen.Liddell|| P
||Sen.Ward|| P
||Sen. Will|| P
||Sen. King|| P
||Sen. Lusted|| P
||Sen. McDonald|| P
||Sen. Russell|| P
||Sen. Williams|| P
||Sen. Boudreaux|| P
||Sen. Kohrs|| P
||Sen. Nelson|| P
||Sen. Rougely|| P
||Sen.Tan|| P
||Sen. Furgerson|| P
||Sen. Harrell||P%
||Sen. Monette|| P
||Sen. Nguyen|| P
||Sen. Stuart|| P
||Secretary Lang|| P
||Treasurer Ehricht|| P
||VPEA Cole|| P
||VPIA Hills|| P
||President Lavan|| P
25 Present

Approval of minutes from October 18, 2005
II Officer Reports

2. Officer reports
a. Secretary Lang- Email Me if you canít make it to something.
b. Treasurer Ehricht- Here is a report of how much we have spent this semester. We have $12, 449. 92 for the rest of the semester
c. V.P. EA- Those of you who are on the Homecoming committee we will meet Wednesday at 7pm. We will discuss possible themes and venues. November 15th you will have liaison forms due. Ask what they plan to do for the rest of the semester.
d. V.P. IA- I trust you all got the revisions to the bylaws I sent. I hope you read over them. Be sure to print them out for next week.
e. President Lavan- I ask that you speak loudly and I wanted to say good job on the forum. I thought it was a good job on the first forum in a long time. It was a great step in the right direction.

III Old Business
No old business.

IV New Business
Senator Cook moves to adopt Resolution 0506_08 Resolution to allocate $600.00 to the Philosophy Discussion Group to fund meetings
-reads the resolution, Senator Cook yields her time to Lacey Anderson, President of PDG
Lacey Anderson- We meet, eat pizza, and talk about controversial issues. We discuss with our peers. Cioccheti is there to help us along when we get stuck or when we run out of ideas.
Senator Stuart- How much did we give you last year? Is the money just for pizza and drinks?
Senator Lusted- How many people come to your meetings?
Anderson- It varies from 5-6 to 10-20. It tends to vary on the topic we talk about.
Senator Stuart- If you have excess money left over at the end of the year will you give it back to SGA?
Anderson- Yes Iím sure we would.
'Monette- Where do you get the pizza from?
Anderson- Pieworks.
Furgerson- Where did the $75 come from?
Anderson- Cioccheti came up with that figure, he is the one who has been paying for pizza and drinks. These refreshments are essential to contribute to the atmosphere of the meeting to help make people comfortable and able to talk.

V. Extra Business
Constitution and Bylaws revisions:;
It requires a vote of 2/3 of the senate to change the bylaws.
Read the hand out with the changes.
Senator Russell-I feel that we should push that number to 15 minutes. They need a little bit more time to finish speaking. Just in case itís a really big resolution.
Senator Lusted- If we say that we make it 10 minutes, can we vote to extend it?
VPIA Hills- We want to be efficient. When other people come to our meeting, they become part of our meetings and are governed by our rules. We want them to be concise, quick and give us the information that we need. I think this is a good rule because it keeps us from having extraneous information. In reference to why we couldnít extend it, I really donít think we could. It would depend on how much they had left.
Senator Will- Does that ten start after time yielded?
VPIA Hills- Yes.
Senator King-Rachel Powell went over the 10 minutes, but it did answer all questions and was efficient. I donít see the reason why we should time it.
Senator Monette- If we decide a time? Do we tell them?
President Lavan- It is the responsibility of the senator to tell the presenters that they have that much time.
VPIA Hills-Just to add onto what Lavan said. It is a responsibility for the senator to contact presenter to tell them the time. You should tell them to be concise and efficient with time too.
Senator Tan- I think we need to limit time for Q&A. People are asking the same questions over and over. Write your questions down. We are taking too much time to ask questions.
President Lavan- It is up to the senate to pay attention. The point of the amendment was to limit their time so that they donít repeat themselves over and over. Itís so they can say what they need to say. When you present in a class, they give you the time limit.
Senator Tan- It is our responsibility to pay attention yes, but can we just tell them that they have a time limit. It seems petty to put it in the bylaws.
VPIA Hills- It is not enough just to say it. It has to be as official as possible so that it can be revered and followed. People will say well where does it say that I have 10 minutes?
We will vote now about if you like the amendment.
Russell amends to change the time to 15 minutes.
Liz Delcamp- They yield a specific time on CNN. You could try leaving it up to the senator how much time to yield.
Lavan-I want everyone to have a standard and a limit.
Liddell- It should be discussed more.
Lusted-If we did increase the time more questions would be answered.
Senator Stuart- I think 15 minutes is a little too much. If we limit it to 10 minutes, then they will keep it efficient and concise. We could get a lot more done if we limit their time.
Senator Russell- The reason I made this is because some resolutions take more time. People probably wonít talk for that much time.
President Lavan- Keep in mind we are debating the time not whether or not we want a time limit.
Senator Liddell- It should be up to the presiding officer to extend time.
Sec. Lang- I think whatever time limit we give presenters, they will feel obligated to fill the time and will do so, when they could have finished up in a shorter time.
VPIA Hills- If we vote for 10 minutes, they are limited to ten minutes. Chris will tell them when they are over.
Senator Tan calls to question Senator Monette Seconds
Vote on whether to make it 15 minutes or not.
||Senator|| Vote
||Sen. Cook|| Y
||Sen.Hafer|| N
||Sen.Liddell|| N
||Sen.Ward|| N
||Sen. Will|| N
||Sen. King|| Y
||Sen. Lusted|| N
||Sen. McDonald|| N
||Sen. Russell|| Y
||Sen. Williams|| N
||Sen. Boudreaux|| N
||Sen. Kohrs|| N
||Sen. Nelson|| N
||Sen. Rougely|| Y
||Sen.Tan|| Y
||Sen. Furgerson|| Y
||Sen. Harrell|| N
||Sen. Monette|| N
||Sen. Nguyen|| N
||Sen. Stuart|| N
||Secretary Lang|| N
||Treasurer Ehricht|| N
||VPEA Cole|| N
||VPIA Hills|| N
||President Lavan|| -
Amendment fails 6 Y 18 N 0 A

Senator Vote
Sen. Cook Y
Sen.Hafer Y
Sen.Liddell Y
Sen.Ward Y
Sen. Will Y
Sen. King N
Sen. Lusted Y
Sen. McDonald Y
Sen. Russell N
Sen. Williams Y
Sen. Boudreaux Y
Sen. Kohrs Y
Sen. Nelson Y
Sen. Rougely Y
Sen.Tan N
Sen. Furgerson Y
Sen. Harrell Y
Sen. Monette Y
Sen. Nguyen Y
Sen. Stuart Y
Secretary Lang Y
Treasurer Ehricht Y
VPEA Cole Y
VPIA Hills Y
President Lavan -
Motion Passes 21 Y 3 N 0 A

Looking at absences section
-reads revision
With the probation of office part, There will be a meeting with Chris and Shannon why you missed unexcused and what you can do to not mess up again.
We do this all together because it is more efficient
We will get exact wordage on the probation section and then vote on that specific section.
VPEA Cole- I move that we amend that section to include paper work. I.D.1.a.
Treasurer Ehricht calls to question, Seconded by Senator Tan
||Senator|| Vote
||Sen. Cook|| Y
||Sen.Hafer|| Y
||Sen.Liddell|| Y
||Sen.Ward|| A
||Sen. Will|| Y
||Sen. King|| Y
||Sen. Lusted|| Y
||Sen. McDonald|| Y
||Sen. Russell|| N
||Sen. Williams|| Y
||Sen. Boudreaux|| Y
||Sen. Kohrs|| Y
||Sen. Nelson|| Y
||Sen. Rougely|| N
||Sen.Tan|| Y
||Sen. Furgerson|| Y
||Sen. Harrell|| Y
||Sen. Monette|| Y
||Sen. Nguyen|| Y
||Sen. Stuart|| Y
||Secretary Lang|| Y
||Treasurer Ehricht|| Y
||VPEA Cole|| Y
||VPIA Hills|| Y
||President Lavan|| -
Motion Passes 21 Y 2 N 1A
Section D.2.3.
Any senate member or Officer withÖ..
-reads section
We will vote on the whole section.
Senator Lusted-Why donít we have two tardies equals one absence? I think that 10 minutes is not the same as missing an entire meeting.
Senator Tan-What if you have an emergency? Will that be taken into consideration?
President Lavan- Yes.
Senator King-I move that we amend I.D.3. to say that any member who is more than ten minutes late twice will be counted as one unexcused absence.
Senator Hafer- Is leaving early the same as considered being late?
President Lavan-Yes
Senator Tan calls to question, Seconded by Boudreaux
||Senator|| Vote
||Sen. Cook|| Y
||Sen.Hafer|| Y
||Sen.Liddell|| Y
||Sen.Ward|| A
||Sen. Will|| Y
||Sen. King|| Y
||Sen. Lusted|| Y
||Sen. McDonald|| Y
||Sen. Russell|| Y
||Sen. Williams|| Y
||Sen. Boudreaux|| Y
||Sen. Kohrs|| Y
||Sen. Nelson|| Y
||Sen. Rougely|| Y
||Sen.Tan|| Y
||Sen. Furgerson|| Y
||Sen. Harrell|| Y
||Sen. Monette|| Y
||Sen. Nguyen|| Y
||Sen. Stuart|| Y
||Secretary Lang|| Y
||Treasurer Ehricht|| Y
||VPEA Cole|| Y
||VPIA Hills|| Y
||President Lavan|| -
Motion passes 23 Y 0 N 1A

Back to the whole section.Y
VPIA Hills- I move to amend D.1.C to read ďAfter the second unexcused absence a meeting between the senator and the president and the advisor(s) will take place to discuss the discrepanciesĒ
Seconded by Senator Cook
Senator Monette calls to question, Seconded by Senator Stuart
||Senator|| Vote
||Sen. Cook|| Y
||Sen.Hafer|| Y
||Sen.Liddell|| Y
||Sen.Ward||
||Sen. Will|| Y
||Sen. King|| Y
||Sen. Lusted|| Y
||Sen. McDonald|| Y
||Sen. Russell|| Y
||Sen. Williams|| Y
||Sen. Boudreaux|| Y
||Sen. Kohrs|| Y
||Sen. Nelson|| Y
||Sen. Rougely|| Y
||Sen.Tan|| Y
||Sen. Furgerson|| Y
||Sen. Harrell|| Y
||Sen. Monette|| Y
||Sen. Nguyen|| Y
||Sen. Stuart|| Y
||Secretary Lang|| Y
||Treasurer Ehricht|| Y
||VPEA Cole|| Y
||VPIA Hills|| Y
||President Lavan|| -
Motion Passes
Back to the whole section
Treasurer Ehricht calls to question, seconded by senator Williams
||Senator|| Vote
||Sen. Cook|| Y
||Sen.Hafer|| Y
||Sen.Liddell|| Y
||Sen.Ward|| A
||Sen. Will|| Y
||Sen. King|| Y
||Sen. Lusted|| Y
||Sen. McDonald|| Y
||Sen. Russell|| Y
||Sen. Williams|| Y
||Sen. Boudreaux|| Y
||Sen. Kohrs|| Y
||Sen. Nelson|| Y
||Sen. Rougely|| Y
||Sen.Tan|| Y
||Sen. Furgerson|| Y
||Sen. Harrell|| Y
||Sen. Monette|| Y
||Sen. Nguyen|| Y
||Sen. Stuart|| Y
||Secretary Lang|| Y
||Treasurer Ehricht|| Y
||VPEA Cole|| Y
||VPIA Hills|| Y
||President Lavan|| -
Motion passes 23 Y 0 N 1 A

Extra Business-
President Lavan- Good job on the Forum
We did the Face Publicity
Ad Council is supportive of us this year.
Community Service this Friday from 2-4 at the old samís on Jewella.
Will we be emailed directions?
Yes.
Let Secretary Lang know if you have to work, just make sure you email before Friday.
Is this strictly SGA? No.
We need to publicize it. We are going to open it up to the students. Can someone send out an email? Senator Russell will take care of that.
Halloween Hoopla is 9pm on Monday night.
They need help to pass out t-shirts and raffle tickets.
Should we help them?
Senator Liddell- I donít support Halloween. Is this collective?
Senator Lusted- They have come to us, we should help them.
We will help Monday night.
-Make signs to put up banners around for the event. Senator Williams, Senator Will and Senator Tan, and Senator Nguyen.
Organizations will need to start reporting, media-wise. They will report on a five-week rotation. Be aware of that as liaisons for those organizations.
President Lavan- I want debate. I want you guys to talk about resolutions. The reasons why the EC has brought the last two weeksí amendments to the resolutions is to show you how because some of you are new. We want amendments, but if you want the number to stay the same, have reasons for it, donít just sit passively and let it pass. There are reasons for money to come to us. We are here for debate.
Senator Russell- Can we ask a question? My whole thing with the EC making amendments, why canít they just make them? If we want to make an amendment we will. I feel like sometimes you think we donít think things through. If yíall want to make an amendment, make it.
VPEA Cole- The point that we are trying to make was to generate discussion and debate. My voice is going to echo a little further, and will not introduce it to debate but more people will just accept it. We want to encourage debate. I understand if people have reservations about it. We donít want to undermine anyoneís authority or say we donít know how to do your job. We donít have a secret agenda.
Senator King- I have had cons, and because there are no debates I donít get my say. Can we do our debate.
Senator Russell- I know at other places they do pro con pro con. And if there is no pro we move to a con.
Senator Tan- When you are about to debate, you start with a pro and you should ask for a con before you call it to question.
Senatorr Nelson- The amendments that you are sending through senators to talk about? Are those just random?
VPEA Cole- We talked about it in meeting. We did it to make sure the senate is sparked and we wanted to debate on it. We asked if the senators were comfortable presenting it.
Senator Nelson- Do you not think that it would be expressed better from you?
VPEA Cole- Itís to make sure the senate has practice with it. I donít want to see the EC being the only ones to amend the resolutions. I have seen that in the past and that isnít good. The EC is worried that there is no interdialogue between your classes.
We are just talking.
Senator Monette- Since this is an issue that we want to get our class involved. We need hard facts.
President Lavan- The problem is an internal thing. EC meets from 5:30-6:30 we discuss the resolutions. We were worried that you were not talking between your classes. Why donít you meet early before meeting to discuss these resolutions.
Senator Rougely- I get the impression that you donít want frivoulous things to come up.
President Lavan- Iím trying to press efficiency, not just speeding through things. I want to get as many things as possible done.
Senator King- I understand your intention to spark debate. But senator Ward lied about making an amendment.
Senator Liddell- I understand what the EC is saying, but I see it that our job is to present ideas that we believe are worthy to discuss. We should present these ideas from the EC.
Senator Monette-You said that you talked to your class after you talked to your class. We need to do our homework. It would help debate if we had more info to go on from our class. That would help debate.
President Lavan- This has been under the table. I want it to stay internal. I want it to be something that we solve. I know some senators have had a problem with it, I would ask that you bring it to me, but I would like to solve it in one on one. As presiding officer I have executive privilege to do certain things that you donít. You can vote, I canít. My number one goal is for the senate to be the best that it can be.

VI. Open Forum
3. Open Forum
Senator Stuart- I notice that during meeting people are passing way to many notes. I am having trouble paying attention. I see that other people
Senator Furgerson- I feel that there is tension between everyone and I donít like it. You donít work well unless you resolve it.
Senator Harrell- Iím going to be in a movie on Thursday. Thatís it.
Senator Monette- Dr. Taylor wants to know how to get an overhead projector? (contact IT, or the Provost)
Senator Nguyen- none
Senator Williams- Thanks for supporting Up til Dawn.
Senator McDonald- Come to Rhapsody
Senator Lusted- Nov. 5 and 6th at the Civic CenterÖif you have any questions ask a choir member..
Senator King- I want to reinforce what amber said about going to your classes about asking questions.
Senator Russell- Organizations. RA programs.
Liz- Facebook Forum was good. I will be playing in the pep band in some of the basketball games.
Senator Will- Nothing
Senator Hafer- Nothing
Senator Ward-
Senator Liddell- Whoever sent me that note made my day.
Senator Cook- This week is the Mormon lecture series week. I think itís a good opportunity that people wonít take advantage of.
Senator Tan- Rhapsody tickets, please buy them. I get to go snowboarding over thanksgiving break. I get free pass and lodging. If you have odd jobs, I will do them. My brother was named New Hampshire football player of the month
Senator Kohrs- none
Senator Boudreaux- You are so lucky that Iím not a lawyer, the name tag almost killed me%
Senator Rougely-On the list of all time super heroes, batman has gone down on my list.
Senator Nelson- La Lopez, my birthday is Saturday
Advisor Delaney- Itís freak Week!!! FSP has had some cool stuff.
Secretary Lang- Alias came out today.
Advisor Chirhart- I get to sit in on EC and these meetings. When those amendments were done last weeks they did it in their best interests at heart. They didnít want you to think that the EC was trying to push things on you. They are working hard for you, nothing is ass backwards.
Treasurer Ehricht- I just want to say we spent 30 minutes on this big debate about why EC should not do those resolutions. We should do something for the students instead of having to discuss this internal issue.
V.P. EA Cole- FSP had our Centenary Night at Cheeburger and Cheeburger. We made money and are working to bring a larger name to campus. Those of you who never thought I would amount to anything; I will be published in the Jack London Newsletter next month. It will be translated into 6 languages.
V.P. IA Hills- Bylaws committee will meet. I canít stress this enough, I sent you the bylaws Saturday morning. Please make sure you print them out and read over them.
President Lavan- My cell phone no longer works. I went to Atlanta and had a great time, best ever. I left my cell phone charger rushing to get to the plane. Email me if you have anything to ask. If you have problems come and talk to me. I want you all to approach me. I want this to work. I donít want to do it like itís been done in the past.
Senator King Moves to adjourn, Treasurer Ehricht seconds