April 8, 2002
TO: Area News Media
FROM: Centenary News Service
Contact Lynn Stewart, 318-869-5120
SUBJECT: FIRE AT CENTENARY RESIDENCE
SHREVEPORT, LA -- A fire caused by
lightning at about 3 a.m. today (Monday, April 8) resulted in the evacuation of the some 190 residents of Cline Hall at Centenary College of Louisiana.
No one was injured and the evacuation
went smoothly and according to the College's emergency plan. Students were
relocated to temporary quarters set up in the Centenary Fitness Center and the basement of Magale Library.
The Shreveport Fire Department is
returning to campus every 30 minutes for several hours to check the building. The building had reopened by 8 a.m.
Zeke Aull, Centenary's director of
public safety, said that it appears that most of the damage is to the building's
roof and an unoccupied room on the third floor.