Contact: Centenary News Service, 318-869-5120
Regional Residence Hall Organization Honors Centenary College with Five Awards
SHREVEPORT, LA — Members of Centenary College's Mark R. Miller Chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary are celebrating five regional award winners just announced by the Southwest Affiliate of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls. SWACURH includes some 35 schools in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
Award winners for April 2007 from Centenary are:
- Dr. Chris Ciocchetti, Advisor of the Month, for his work with both Centenary's Honor Court and the Philosophy Discussion Group, as well as his outstanding work as a professor. The nomination was written by sophomore Amos Sit.
- Georgette Lang, who graduated in May, Executive Board Member of the Month. The outgoing president of the Student Governments Association, she worked very hard in April to organize various events, including a banquet for Residence Life. This nomination was written by junior Maggie Mahoney.
- Centenary's Cross Country Team, Regional Community Service Program of the Month. In April, the Cross Country team organized a "Cross Country Fun Run," inviting local kids to participate. The goal of the program was to promote a healthy lifestyle and to help build community with the neighborhoods around Centenary. The nomination was written by sophomore Gabriel Silvas.
- Outreach, Regional Diversity Program of the Month, for organizing a program for the National Day of Silence and designing armbands to encourage students to take a stand against violence. Originally, the program was designed to allow students to take a stand against hate crimes. However, after the Virginia Tech tragedy, the program was extended to include violence of all kinds. The nomination was written by junior Maggie Mahoney.
- Sophomore Mindy McKoin, campus Resident Assistant of the Month. Her nomination was written by senior Nick Rougely.