Troy C. Messina
Associate Professor of Physics and Biophysics (since 2007)
Gus S. Wortham Chair of Engineering (since 2008)
University of Texas at Austin, B.S.,1996; M.A., 1999, Ph.D., 2002
- tel: 318.869.5217
- Physics I (PHYS 104)
- Physics I Laboratory (PHYS 114)
- Physics II (PHYS 105)
- Physics II Laboratory (PHYS 115)
- Thermal Physics (PHYS 416)
Research Project Flavors
Centenary students: Contact me in person or by email if you want to work in my lab!
- Molecular Dynamics Lab in Genetics
- Portable Gait Monitor
- Musical Staircase
- Tail Flick Analgesic Apparatus
- Proteins - experimental and computational
- Solvent and Amino Acid Interactions with Organic Fluorophores
- Literature Searching (Educational)
- Centenary Bikeswipe Project
- Wind Tunnel
- Associate Professor of Physics, Centenary College of Louisiana, 2007-present
- NIH NRSA Ruth L. Kirschstein Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Rutgers University, 2003-2007
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Department of Physics, Princeton University, 2003
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Texas at Austin, Department of Physics, 1995-2002
- Semiconductor Research Intern, International 300 mm Initiative/International Sematech, Austin, TX, 1997-2000
- Contract Scientist, Xidex Corporation, Austin, TX, 1999-2000
- July 2013: A paper co-authored by Centenary alum, Harry Chiang, former Centenary professor, Cynthia Brame, and LSU-HSC professor, Lucy Robinson has been accepted for publication in Biochemistry and Molecular Biolody Education. The paper is titled "Molecular Modeling in the ClassroomMolecular Mechanics and Dynamics Characterization of an In Silico Mutated Protein: A Stand-Alone Lab Module or Support Activity for In Vivo and In Vitro Analyses of Targeted Proteins". Supplemental information can be found here.
- Past and Present Students
Paige Pritchett at ACS (New Orleans) 2013
Matt Blam at ACS (Anaheim) 2011
Francis Pettito at the Protein Society (Stockholm) 2011
Brandi Candler at SPS (Centenary) 2011
Jessica Garza at ACS (Salt Lake) 2009
James Nolan at SPS (Rhodes) 2008
Roland Womack & Richard Lopez at SPS (Rhodes) 2008
Marco Reyes in the lab 2008
A. Otto, G. Q. Butcher, and T. C. Messina, "Design plans for an inexpensive tail flick analgesia meter," submitted to Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education (JUNE) Fall 2011.
C. W. Miller, M. D. Chabot, T. C. Messina, "A Student's Guide to Literature Searching Using Online Databases," Am. J. Phys. 77 (2009).
T. C. Messina and D. S. Talaga, "Free energy landscapes remodeled by ligand binding," Biophys. J. 93 579-585 (2007).
T. C. Messina, C. W. Miller, and J. T. Markert, "Observation of steric quenching of the switchable mirror effect in Y1-zSczHx," Phys. Rev. B 75 104109-10411 (2007).
T. C. Messina, H. Kim, J. T. Giurleo, D. S. Talaga, "Hidden Markov Model Analysis of Multichromophore Photobleaching," J. Phys. Chem. B 110, 16366-16376 (2006).