Duties of Advisers

  1. Assist students in planning academic program.
  2. Approve, by signature, each student's course program for each semester, including all changes in registration.
  3. Be available for frequent consultation with the advisee.
  4. Call in for consultation any students receiving pink slips, or whose classroom behavior indicates academic problems.
  5. Direct student into pre-professional or career program, with an appropriate major no later than the beginning of the junior year.
  6. Prepare a degree plan for advisee. This should be done at the beginning of the junior year.
  7. Be available for consultation by advisee on personal and social problems.
    CA, p. 26; Centenary Advising Manual, 1970

Each student at Centenary College is assigned a faculty advisor whose duty it is to counsel the student regarding a degree program, vocational or professional interests, the course schedule for each term, and program toward graduation, including completion of core and major requirements. Each faculty advisor is available for frequent consultation and will contact advisees for conferences in case of deficient grade reports and for course program planning. Normally, however, it is the studentís responsibility to seek advice when needed, and students should not hesitate to contact their advisors at any time.

Each incoming first-year student is assigned a first-year advisor, an advisor who is prepared to advise new students about any major or career path and who might not be a professor in the student's intended major. First-year advisors begin advising students upon admission to the College and usually continue until the student declares a major, changes an initial advisor, or completes the sophomore year. Transfer students are assigned advisors typically in their declared majors; undeclared majors among transfer students are assigned first-year advisors

Students, including first-year students, may change advisors at any time. In order to change advisors, the student should first ask a faculty member to serve as the student's new advisor. The student and new advisor should then inform the Registrar's Office by submitting a Change of Advisor/Major Form. The student or new advisor should also inform the previous advisor and request that the student's file be transferred to the new advisor. Seniors and juniors who have filed a degree plan must be advised by a faculty member in their major department. Students are welcome, of course, to discuss their course schedules and vocational plans with faculty members other than their primary advisors.

The faculty advisor must approve each studentís course program for each semester, including any additions, deletions, or other registration changes. After the stated last date to enroll or add courses in a given semester, the faculty advisor's approval must be indicated with a signature on an Enrollment Change form. CA (2003-04), p. 47; (02/16/2004)