The Religious Studies Department encourages students to examine how religious beliefs, practices, and values of contemporary and historical cultures shape and are shaped by societal factors, long-standing traditions, and distinctive forms of literary and artistic expression.
Major B.A. in Religious Studies
Students may complete a major in religious studies with at least nine courses (36 hours):
- Either Introduction to Hebrew Bible or Introduction to Early Christian Literature (REL 101 or 102)
- Introduction to Religious Studies (REL 111)
- Introduction to World Religions
- At least two courses from the 200+ level that focus on specific religious traditions
- Four additional courses from the 300-level or above
- Comprehensive Examinations (REL 900, 901)
minor requirements for religious studies
Students may elect a minor in religious studies with any five courses from the Department of Religious Studies, including Introduction to Religious Studies and at least two courses from the 300-level or above.