Making Art in Paris
April 21 – 30, 2020
An alumni travel opportunity led by Professors Bruce Allen and David Havird.
Draw and write your way through Paris in April. Four Tuesday evenings (8 hours) of basic “how to” instruction on the college’s campus or online will precede our departure. Instruction will continue in Paris, where our “learning aids” will include the famous sites as well as the art at the Louvre, the Orsay, and other museums, and where, in the city’s gardens and cafés, you’ll respond to the sensations of Paris with drawings and poems of your own. Paris has long been a magnet for artists, visual artists and artists of the written word. Whether you’ve ever drawn a picture or written a line of verse, for a week in April you’ll be an artist in Paris.
Longtime professors at Centenary College, Bruce Allen and David Havird have taught classes in Paris for many years. They pioneered the signature program, Centenary in Paris, for incoming first-year students. Bruce is a versatile visual artist whose sculpture and installations decorate many public spaces. Bruce Allen’s Paris in Another Light, a collection of drawings, was published in 2019. David is a widely published poet whose new book, Weathering: Poems and Recollections, is forthcoming in 2020 from Mercer University Press.
Cost - $1,750
- Instruction including 4 pre-departure meetings (8 hours) (7-9 PM on March 24, March 31, April 7, and April 14)
- Lodging: 8 nights, double occupancy at Hotel Des Nations St. Germain or comparable hotel (For single occupancy add $510.)
- Meals: 8 breakfasts, 2 dinners
- Métro tickets: 1 carnet (10 tickets)
- Museums: 4-day Museum Pass + admission to Fondation Louis Vuitton with guide
- Daytrip (transportation, admission): Giverny, Monet’s House and Gardens
- Centenary Travel Insurance (details of coverage here)
What’s not included:
- Airfare and transfers to and from destination / hotel
- Supplemental travel insurance (for example: trip cancellation coverage)
- Self-guided activities
- Meals on your own
Fragos, Emily, ed. Poems of Paris. Everyman’s Library, 2019.
Franck, Frederick. The Zen of Seeing: Seeing / Drawing as Meditation. Vintage, 1973.
NOTE: Participants will be responsible for their own round-trip air transportation and transfers to and from the hotel. The Paris portion of the course will begin at 9:00 am on April 23 (Thursday morning).
Payment Terms and Conditions
$500 deposit due at time of registration. This includes a $250 non-refundable cancellation fee. In the event that, due to failure to reach a minimum number of tour participants (excluding the tour leaders), it is necessary to cancel the tour, you will receive a full refund of your deposit. Full balance due no later than January 2, 2020. No refunds will be offered following the final payment.
Alumni Travel Registration