Centenary College Mask Protocol
Updated: November 1, 2021
Updated: November 1, 2021
In response to the lifting of Louisiana's statewide mask mandate on October 27, 2021, Centenary College has implemented new campus protocols for masking. All students, faculty, staff, contracted personnel, and visitors are required to observe the following guidelines. Individuals who do not observe this mask policy may be asked to leave or may be removed from a class, activity, or event. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken by the College, when needed.
- Everyone is required to mask in classrooms (including outdoor classrooms) and at indoor events, performances, and competitions.
- Unvaccinated individuals are required to mask indoors at all times.
The following exceptions to the mask policy are allowed:
- Masks are optional for vaccinated and recently recovered individuals at College-sponsored events/meetings with fewer than 10 individuals.
- If a class or group is 100% vaccinated/recently recovered, the instructor or staff leader may choose to allow the group to meet unmasked, regardless of group size. In these instances, the College recommends one or more of the following measures:
- Conduct activities outdoors or with increased ventilation.
- Increase physical distance.
- Conduct weekly or event testing.
- Wearing a mask is not required if you are alone or in a personal space (example: your office, your car, your residence room alone or with your roommate).
- Wearing a mask is not required when eating or drinking in a space where eating and drinking is permitted and only for the duration necessary to consume the food and/or beverage.
- Athletic teams engaged in coach-supervised practices and competitions are not required to wear masks.
- Masks are not required outdoors regardless of vaccination status. However, masks are required in all outdoor classrooms.
- The College recommends that people who are not fully vaccinated wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings or during activities that involve sustained close contact with other people who are not fully vaccinated.
The purpose of wearing a mask is to contain respiratory droplets which helps prevents infected persons from spreading the virus and aids in protecting the mask wearer.
In accordance with the guidelines provided above, all students, faculty, staff, contract personnel, and visitors are required to use a disposable or cloth mask made of multiple layers of tightly woven fabric that fits snugly around the face, covers the nose, mouth, and chin and secures with ear loops or ties behind the head.
Centenary will provide masks, as needed. Students may obtain a mask at Health Services. Employees may obtain a mask through Human Resources.
The following face coverings are not acceptable:
- Neck gaiters, and
- Masks with a valve or vent.