If a serious injury or illness occurs on campus, immediately call the Department of Public Safety at 5000. Give your name and phone number, describe the nature and severity of the medical problem and the campus location of the victim.
In case of minor injury or illness, provide First Aid care. Note the location of the First Aid kits and the names of First Aid/CPR trained personnel in your area.
Bystanders may quickly perform the following steps:
- Keep victim still and comfortable. DO NOT MOVE VICTIM.
- Ask victim, “Are you okay?" and “What is wrong?” Does the victim respond?
- Check breathing. Do rescue breathing (mouth-to-mouth) if necessary. Use the CPR shields located in first aid kits in every building.
- Check for a pulse. If there is no pulse and you have been trained, perform CPR or use an AED.
- Control serious bleeding by direct pressure on the wound.
- Continue to assist the victim until help arrives.
- Look for emergency medical ID, Medic Alert tags, question witnesses, and give all information to The Department of Public Safety or emergency responders when they arrive.
- Individuals in each department or building are encouraged to obtain training in First Aid/CPR/AED skill.