THE LATEST: Stay updated on Centenary's COVID-19 response. Learn More.

Below are a list of frequently asked questions that will help to advise students. 


Does Centenary have terms or semesters?

Centenary has two semesters that have two terms each. The fall semester is a combination of the August term (the first three weeks of August) and the Fall term (late August through Mid-December). The Spring semester is a combination of the Spring term (early January through early May) and the May term (three weeks in May).

What is the difference between a full-time and a part-time student?

A full-time undergraduate student is one that is currently enrolled in 12-18 hours per fall and spring terms. Part-time is a student enrolled in fewer than 12 hours. The lines blur a bit since the August and May terms are part of the fall and spring semesters respectively. Students should check with the Financial Aid Office before dropping below 12 hours during the fall or spring term to make sure that doing so does not impact access to financial aid.

How do I access a list of my current advisees?

  1. Log in to the secure area of BannerWeb.
  2. Select “Faculty Services” tab at the top of the page
  3. Select “Advisor Menu” from the list of options
  4. Select “Advising List” from the list of options

This will generate a list of current advisees. The “transcript” is one of several options that advisors can select and “view” on this page.

How do I access my advisee’s transcript?

  1. Log in to the secure area of BannerWeb.
  2. Select “Faculty Services” tab at the top of the page
  3. Select “Advisor Menu” from the list of options
  4. Select “ID Selection” from the list of options and enter the advisee’s last name
  5. Select “Student Academic Transcript”

Can a student “double-dip” with courses on the degree plan?

A single course may be used several times on the degree plan, though credit hours may only be counted once.
Example: HIST 321W. This class may be used within the history major, as a humanities Explorations core, as part of the 30 hours of 300+ level course work, and as a W course. The course might possible also count toward a political science major or minor. Another example is CHEM 201/211. This course combination (lecture and lab) may count as a natural science foundation core, as part of chemistry major, and supportive course for a second major and/or minor.

Do Centenary in Paris (CiP) courses count toward Core degree requirements?

No, Centenary in Paris (CiP) courses are not approved as Core courses.

How do transfer credits fit into the core requirements?

The Explorations core requirements are considered by the hours and not the number of courses completed, so transfer students may still need to take more Explorations courses to complete the requirement.

Centenary requires the following:

  • Natural Science (8 hours, and at least one lab)
  • Social Science required courses (8 hours)
  • Humanities required courses (12 hours)
  • Symbolic Reasoning (4 hours)

Most of the credits that transfer into Centenary are 3 hour classes. If a student transfers in, for example, ENGL 102, HIST 205 and 206, which are each 3 hour courses, these three classes may count as 9 hours of Humanities core classes. However, since Centenary requires 12 hours of Humanities credit to satisfy core, the student must take or transfer in an additional course to earn the minimum 12 hours.

What are the reasons a student may have an account hold? Where should I send them to resolve holds?

Account holds are used when important deadlines have passed and a student has not fulfilled an obligation. A hold may be placed if, for example:

  • a student does not provide an official final high school transcript
  • a student does not return a library book and now incurs a late fee
  • a tuition payment is late.

The student should go to the office that placed the hold--Registrar’s Office, Library, Business Office--to learn the reasons for the hold and how to resolve it.

What should I consider when advising a student to drop or remain in a class?

Advising a student to drop or not has several considerations:

  • Will it take a student below full-time hours?
    This may have implications for Athletic eligibility and Financial Aid. Students who fail to complete 12 hours for two consecutive semesters will lose their institutional aid, a decision that can be petitioned and reinstated with support from my office and approval from the Financial Aid Committee. If in doubt, consult the Financial Aid Office. Keep in mind that semesters at Centenary include immersion terms (August + Fall and Spring + May) so that a student may fall below 12 hours in the Fall or Spring term but still complete 12 hours or more during a single semester).

  • Does it impact a student’s progress toward degree completion?
    This might include altering a student’s path to a degree if, for instance, the dropped course is a prerequisite for a major requirement. For example,
  • Does dropping prevent a senior from graduating?
    For example, if a Biology major drops BIOL 101, 202, or 204, this may delay progress by one year the student’s course sequencing because they will need to complete the dropped course before moving on to upper-level courses. Likewise, if a student earning a degree with a foreign language supportive requirement, dropping a language course will delay progress toward completion of the supportive requirement.

Despite these many considerations, it is sometimes important for a student to drop a course, and students should be reminded that there is no shame in dropping a course and trying again in another semester.


What is the college’s Repeat/Replace Policy?

The policy states, “Students may repeat once any course at Centenary for which credit has been earned to improve their grade. Hour credit toward graduation is earned only once per each course. An exception would be courses which are permitted to be repeated for credit.”

A student must be registered for the course the second time before turning in the Repeat/Replace Course Request Form. The highest grade earned in a course will replace previous grades earned. The repeat/Replace option will affect cumulative GPA, but will not retroactively affect the academic standing for previous terms. All grades earned in all repeated courses will appear on student transcripts. This includes the original course grade.

Special Note: Medical schools, law schools and other graduate programs may recalculate your cumulative GPA using all grades on your transcript.
A Repeat/Replace request may impact financial aid and scholarship eligibility.

What is the difference between a dual degree and a double major?

A dual degree refers to two BA degrees, two BS degrees, or a BA and a BS degree. The dual degree requires a minimum of 154 credit hours for completion. A student earning a dual degree will declare a separate major for each degree and can earn credits toward a minor as well. If a student is working toward two degrees, a BA and a BS, the student will need to fulfill the language requirement for the BA (FLNG 101 & 102) and the math/statistics requirement for the BS degree (MATH 115 and MATH 201 or a statistics class).

A double major means that a student earns one degree with two major fields of study. This requires 124 total credit hours and can be a BA or a BS degree. Special note: If a student earns one degree with a second major that is a different degree type (eg a BS in Biology with a second major in Psychology, which is a BA) the student does not have to fulfill the language requirements for the BA because there is only one degree (BS in our example). If you are not sure how this works or you have further questions, please speak with someone in the Registrar’s Office.

Can a student triple major at Centenary?

No. If a student wants the equivalent of three majors, they must earn two degrees (154 required hours) with one of the degrees having two majors. It is not possible to declare three major fields of study for one degree, nor is it possible to have two majors for two degrees. Three is the maximum number of majors allowed and requires that the student earn two degrees.

When should a student declare their major? When can they change/add majors or minors?

While students aren’t required to declare a major until their junior year, it is preferable that they do so by the spring semester of their sophomore year. New students are asked to submit a Declare a Major form during SOAR. Majors and minors can be changed at any time. Second majors and minors may also be added at any time by submitting a Change/Update Major or Minor form to the Registrar’s Office.

When and how can a student change to a different advisor?

A student can change advisors at any time by submitting a Change of Advisor/Major Form to the Registrar’s Office.  The 2019-2020 catalogue states: “Students, including first-year students, may change advisors at any time. To change advisors, students may contact the Chair of the major department for assistance, or in the case of smaller departments, may ask a faculty member to serve as their new advisor. The student and the new advisor should then inform the Office of the Registrar by submitting a Change of Advisor/Major Form. The student or new advisor should also inform the previous advisor and request that the student’s file be transferred to the new advisor” (27).

My advisee wants to change their major/advisor. What do I need to do?

Direct the student to the Major or Advisor change form on the Registrar’s Office webpage or in the Registrar’s Office. The student must complete the form, obtain all the necessary signatures, and turn the form in to the Registrar’s Office. Once the form has been turned in, check your list of advisees in Banner to make sure your student has been assigned their new advisor. Send any files to the student’s new advisor.

How can I get a student enrolled in a closed class?

Email the instructor and/or the department chair and copy the Registrar’s Office at Be sure to include the student’s name, ID number, and the course name and number being added. This way, the instructor/department chair answers only one email and we can enroll the student

How do I register a student for an Independent Study?

The professor who will supervise the independent study must complete the Faculty Scheduling Add a Class form  (This can be found under the Information for Faculty tab on the Registrar’s Office webpage.) Once this form has been submitted, the Registrar’s Office will create the class and enroll the student.

What are the different options for a student to fulfill the foreign language requirement?

A student has several options for fulfilling Centenary’s B.A. foreign language requirement (two semesters). They may:

  1. Complete foreign language courses (must be the same language) at the 101 and 102 level at Centenary.
  2. Use dual enrollment credits or transfer credits to count for foreign language 101 and 102.
  3. Take the French or Spanish placement test during SOAR to determine their level of proficiency and, possibly, earn credits for foreign language 101, 102, 201, and/or 202. Placement tests can be administered only to students who have never attended a college foreign language class, including dual enrollment classes.

International students (indicated by a student id number that begins “999) may fulfill any foreign language requirements by taking a placement exam. Centenary only offers placement exams for French and Spanish, but we will accept any language credits (except sign language) that are transcripted by an accredited college.

How should a student go about completing courses during the summer at other institutions?

Centenary accepts foreign language credits from accredited colleges. Advise the student to complete the Transfer Equivalency Course Form prior to registering for summer classes. This will prevent students from taking classes that later will not transfer or fulfill degree requirements. Students must make a C or better in order to transfer a class back to Centenary.

How do I enroll an advisee who is planning to study abroad?

When students study abroad through one of our sister schools, we enroll the student in a 300-level study abroad class for 12 credit hours. If you have a student who is studying abroad, contact the Registrar to make sure the student is properly enrolled. Once the student has finished their study abroad time and an official final transcript has been received, the Registrar’s Office, department chair, advisor, and the student (if needed) will discuss the best way to bring in the earned credits. The 12 hour 300-level study abroad class is then replaced by the individual courses that transfer.

Do international students need to fulfill the Trek 351: Culture requirement to earn a degree?

International students (indicated by a student id number that begins “999) do not have to earn credit for Trek 351: Culture.

When are degree plans due in the Registrar’s Office?

Before the fall semester of the student’s senior year. On page 34 of the 2019-2020 catalogue, it states:

“Students must file their degree plans, approved by their advisors and endorsed by the Registrar, before registering for the fall semester of their senior year.”

However, while the degree plan is “due” in the junior year, it is helpful to prepare and submit the degree plan by the end of the sophomore year. The summer months are the prime time for the Registrar’s Office to review the degree plans. This gives students ample time to pick up any missed or failed classes and to work out a four semester plan for completion.

Special note: any student who plans to study abroad should submit their degree plan prior to their study abroad semester.

What is the Degree Completion Policy?

The Degree Completion Plan states that, “Students who have not completed the necessary coursework but are within 8 credits of the total required for graduation may apply to participate in the Commencement exercises preceding their degree completion.”

In order for the application to be approved, the student must provide a plan for how and when they will complete remaining requirements for graduation. The deadline for completing all remaining degree requirements is the end of the Fall Semester (December) of the same calendar year of Commencement.

Please note that any student participating in the Degree Completion Plan, will not be recognized or awarded for any honors, Departmental or Institutional, until the all work has been completed for graduation.

Students in a Centenary sponsored 3/2 program who are within 8 hours of fulfilling graduation requirements and who have been admitted to a partner institution to complete their studies, may process at commencement. No degree will be granted nor diploma issued until all the degree requirements are fulfilled.

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy As To Students The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.