What is the role of a CSA?
The Centenary College Department of Public Safety encourages all members of the campus community to report crimes to us on a timely basis. However, under the Clery Act, CSAs are required to report Clery Act qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the College. CSAs should only report those crimes that have not been previously reported to University Police or another College CSA. The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students, in particular, may be hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.

To review information on reportable Clery Act crimes, reportable disciplinary referrals and/or the Clery Act incident occurrence locations that are reportable, please refer to CLERY Map Definitions and CLERY Crime Definitions pages. For additional information on the Clery Act and CSA responsibilities, visit the CSA Resource Sheet (PDF).


What makes you a CSA?
The law defines four categories of CSAs:

  1. College Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.
  2. Non-police people of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on college property, including, but not limited to, security guards, campus parking enforcement staff, student patrol officers, and security staff at athletic events.
  3. The Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSAs consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for Officials (i.e., not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students. An Official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the College. If someone has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, s/he is a CSA. Some examples of CSAs in this category include, but are not limited to: deans, student affairs professionals, student housing staff, athletic director/assistant directors, coaches, student activities coordinators, student judicial officers, and faculty/staff advisors to student organizations.
  4. Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses – College Police.


Who is not a CSA?
The following non-CSA positions/functions include but are not limited to: administrative staff members who are not responsible for students; clerical staff, individual faculty with no student activity duties outside the classroom, pastoral counselors, or counselors in the Counseling Center who only provide care to individual students.


Crime Reporting
CSA Crime Reporting - When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the person if they would like to report it to the Centenary Police. If so, contact Centenary Police at 318.869.5000. If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with Centenary Police, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority Crime Report Form. However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report with Centenary Police, leaving the CSA with no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Reporting Form.

If the reported crime is made in good faith, meaning that there is reasonable basis for believing that the information is not rumor or hearsay, then the crime is Clery reportable. CSAs, when interacting with the crime reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSAs need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof. Reporting party identifying information should only be included in the Report Form if the reporting party is willing to provide same (see Anonymous Reporting section below). CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Report Form should be completed and submitted!


Anonymous Reporting
The Centenary Police Department permits victims or witnesses to report crimes to CSAs on a voluntary, anonymous basis (and includes such anonymous reports in reported Annual Security Report crime totals) but encourages individuals who report crime to provide identifying information.


What do I tell a reporting party?
The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:

"As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the College. I am required to make a report of this incident to Centenary Police for data gathering. If you request confidentiality, the Report Form will not include your name, or that of any other involved individuals. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?"

CSA Contact and Resource Guide
If you have questions, contact Frank Waruszcak at 318.869.5759. A printable, one page document indicating what should be reported can be found here in the CSA Resource Sheet.


What is done with CSA Reports?
The Centenary Department of Public Safety reviews CSA reports and makes a determination if an incident warrants timely warning and/or emergency notification of the Centenary community and whether it is a reportable crime in the Annual Security Report (ASR). The Department of Public Safety will consolidate crime data from multiple sources, report qualifying crime data to the federal Department of Education, publish campus ASRs and inform the campus community when and where ASRs are available. The Centenary College security report is available online. Members of the community may also request a paper copy from the Centenary College Department of Public Safety.


Crime / Emergency and Non-Emergency Reporting
Regardless of your status (CSA or non-CSA), all community members are encouraged to promptly report all criminal incidents and other public safety related emergencies to police. For incidents requiring immediate attention, dial 869.5000 or 911. You may also use any of the Emergency Phones located throughout the campus. Non-emergency incidents can be reported by dialing 869.5000 from any phone or in person at the Centenary College Department of Public Safety at 106 E. Kings Hwy, Shreveport, LA.

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.