The program provides a broad biological background for both the non-science student and the future biologist. Classroom and laboratory experiences are complemented by off-campus opportunities designed to prepare students for professional and graduate programs. The biology curriculum is the appropriate choice in preparation for numerous professions related to the life sciences.
Students intending to major in biology should enroll in BIOL 101 (Principles and Methods of Biology) in the fall of their freshman year. Biology majors with specific post-graduation goals should consult with a biology faculty member early in their academic careers to determine which degree and courses best meet their goals.
High school graduates who have taken the Advanced Placement test may receive credit for BIOL 101, depending on their test scores as shown in the Advanced Placement section of the catalog. Students with acceptable AP may start their biology curriculum with BIOL 202 or 204.
Major Requirements for the B.S. in Biology
1. Thirty-two credit hours in biology including BIOL 101 (Natural Science Challenge requirement), BIOL 202, and BIOL 204. At least twenty hours must be 300-level or above. No more than four hours of the thirty-two may be from Independent Study or Internship.
2. Supportive courses:
- MATH 115 as the Symbolic Reasoning Foundation course requirement
- MATH 201 or ECON 204 or PSY 304 or SOC 304 as B.S. second quantitative requirement CHEM 121/123 as the Natural Science Foundation course requirement
- CHEM 122/124, CHEM 201/211, CHEM 202/212, PHYS 104/114 or PHYS 105/115,
Major Requirements for the B.A. in Biology
1. Thirty credit hours in biology including BIOL 101, BIOL 202, and BIOL 204. At least sixteen hours must be at 300-level or above. No more than six hours of the thirty may be from Independent Study or Internship.
2. Supportive courses:
- MATH 107 or 115 as the Symbolic Reasoning Foundation course requirement CHEM 121/123 as the Natural Science Foundation course requirement
- CHEM 122/124
- ECON 204 or PSY 304 or SOC 304
Minor Requirements for Biology
Students electing to minor in biology must take at least 20 hours of biology, including BIOL 101, BIOL 202, and BIOL 204, and at least 6 hours at the 300-level or above.