General resources

All students, regardless of their citizenship, are considered for Centenary’s competitive academic scholarships when they apply for admission. Since these scholarships do not usually cover the entire cost of attending Centenary, the Office of Financial Aid has identified other sources of financial assistance for international students wishing to study in the United States:

Aid from your home country

Contact the cultural section of your embassy or your ministry of education for more information. There also may be private organizations in your home country that provide support for study in the USA. Businesses, foundations, and religious groups might have funds available.

Aid from international organizations

Most of the private scholarships for international students require that you apply from your home country. However, some international organizations (like the United Nations or the Organization of American States) offer funding for graduate students only to study in the USA.

Aid from the US government

US government student assistance programs, including the Pell Grant, Stafford and PLUS loans, and work-study programs, are available only for US citizens or eligible non-citizens. However, there may be aid available from the US government for students from specific countries. You can contact your embassy, the US Department of State, and the US Information Agency, or visit a local U.S. Educational Advising Center in your country. You should also write to the Agency for International Development.

Aid from US organizations and sponsors

There is some financial aid for international students available from private sources such as foundations and individual sponsors. Some sources of private financial aid are publicized in foreign language newspapers published in the United States.


Aid for students from specific countries

  • Canada
    • yconic (formerly StudentAwards)
    • Canadian Student Loan Program – CanHELP is an alternative loan program for Canadian college and university students to study in the USA and approved schools throughout the world. The loans are offered by the International Education Finance Corporation (IEFC) working in conjunction with Bank of America, Fleet Boston, Citizens Bank, and The Education Resources Institute (TERI). Students may borrow up to the full cost of education, including tuition, fees, and room and board.
    • Canadian students attending colleges in the USA may obtain loans through the Canadian government's Ministry of Skills, Training and Labour. Students should contact a Canadian lender, the appropriate Ministry office in their province, or Human Resources Development Canada in Ottawa. One lender which issues these loans is Royal Bank Student Loan Centre. For more information, call them at 1-604-665-4029.
  • India
    • HDFC Credila Educational Loan Services provides loans to students of Indian ancestry to study in the United States, whether currently here or planning to come in the future. Loans are also available for Indian students studying in India.
  • Italy
    • Noopolis is a database in Italy run by CNR (the Italian equivalent of the US's National Science Foundation) that contains information about scholarships to study in Italy, as well as scholarships for Italian citizens to study abroad. For more information, call +39-6-62-33-103 or write to Noopolis, Via Domenico Tardini, 33, 00167 Roma - Italy.
  • Pan America
    • Leo S. Rowe Pan American Fund grants student loans to competent persons from Latin American and Caribbean Organization of American States (OAS) member states, to help them finance their higher education studies in the United States, with the understanding that, upon completing those studies, they will be in a position to give their respective countries the benefit of their training. One of the eligibility requirements to receive an interest-free student loan is to be a citizen of a Latin American or Caribbean member country of the Organization of American States.
Contact Info

Office of Financial Aid

2911 Centenary Boulevard, Shreveport, LA 71104

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.