What is a QEP?
A Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is a required element in Centenary’s reaccreditation process with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). In this process, the College identifies key issues emerging from institutional assessment and focus on identifying and assessing goals rooted in specific student learning outcomes and/or student success, among other elements.
Read more about the QEP process on the SACSCOC website.
For an example of a previously implemented Centenary QEP, visit centenary.edu/trek.
What is Integrated Advising?
Integrated Advising is a networked, proactive advising model that uses a "case management" approach to assist undergraduate students to be successful in their first year of college. The Integrated Advising model creates an advising team - customized for an individual student - that may include faculty, staff, coaches, and peers. These customized advising teams provide the student with networked support to augment and inform the work of academic advisors.
Centenary students, faculty, and staff chose Forward! as the name for the Integrated Advising QEP in January 2019. Forward is a familiar "Centenary word" - you can find it in the alma mater and in the title of the College's current strategic plan.
Integrated Advising QEP Goal and Outcomes
The goal of the Integrated Advising QEP is to promote student success among first year students at Centenary College.
The QEP has four specific student success outcomes:
- Increase the percentage of students who persist until their second year at Centenary.
- Improve first year student GPA.
- Increase first year student engagement.
- Increase first year student self-efficacy.
Integrated Advising QEP Topic Selection Process
- Spring 2016 – The QEP Topic Selection Committee (including faculty, staff, students, and alumni) organized and began soliciting proposals for review. The driving question for this early part of the process was, “How can the College enhance student learning/success?”
- Fall 2016 – QEP Topic Selection Committee reviewed institutional data.
- Spring 2017 – QEP Topic Selection Committee vetted seven proposals
- Fall 2017 – Retention consultant Dr. Charles Schroeder visited Centenary and identified ways that the College can improve persistence, retention, and four-year graduation rates.
- Spring 2018 – QEP Topic Selection Committee voted to propose “Integrated Advising” as next QEP, based on review of institutional data, findings from Schroeder’s study, and alignment with elements of the College’s strategic plan. Faculty and Board of Trustees approved the proposal later in the spring. QEP Steering Committee formed to design the initiative and draft the proposal for SACSCOC, including a pilot study in the spring semester.
Check out the QEP presentation for more information on Integrated Advising at Centenary!
Send the QEP Steering Committee an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.