Veterans Administration (VA) Benefits at Centenary

Centenary participates in the following VA benefit programs. Detailed information is available on the GI Bill website:

  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)*
  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®)*
  • Chapter 35 (Dependent's Education Assistance)
  • Chapter 1606 (Reserve GI Bill®)

*Chapters 31, 33, and the Yellow Ribbon Program are the only chapters of the GI Bill® that pay the College directly for tuition and fees. All other chapters pay the student monthly and in arrears, so the student is responsible for paying all tuition and fees up front.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Centenary College is honored to be a Yellow Ribbon school. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. For students eligible at the 100% level, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Centenary College will cover 100% of your tuition! The VA will also pay a monthly housing allowance and up to $1,000 stipend for books & supplies. Detailed information about the Yellow Ribbon Program can be found at the Department of Veterans Affairs site.

Since this program pays 100% of your tuition, students who are awarded through this program are not eligible for any other institutional scholarships at Centenary.

Who is eligible?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate - 100% - based on service requirements may receive Yellow Ribbon benefits. To determine if you qualify, please review the eligibility criteria on the VA's Post-9/11 website.

Eligible individuals can transfer their benefits to the dependents (TEB). For more information on transferring benefits, visit the TEB website.

Effective October 1, 2011, active duty personnel and spouses of active duty personnel are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program or the housing allowance.


How do I apply?

Application steps:

- Veteran applies for Post-9/11 benefits using online application from VA

- If veteran is a parent, parent transfers benefits to student via instructions on the TEB website

- Student then applies for benefits using online application from VA

- Student receives written notification of VA's eligibility decision and Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

- Student submits copy of COE and the Centenary Yellow Ribbon Application to the Office of Financial Aid

How will I know if I have received Yellow Ribbon benefits?

If you are eligible for a Yellow Ribbon award, it will be part of your financial aid package in accordance with all federal, state, and institutional rules and regulations.

How does the Yellow Ribbon benefit apply to my student account?

The Centenary College portion of your Yellow Ribbon award will credit to your account once you meet all enrollment and disbursement requirements. The VA match of your Yellow Ribbon award will issue payment directly to the College on your behalf after your enrollment certification is processed by the VA.


Air Force Tuition Assistance (TA) Program

The Air Force Tuition Assistance Program offers tuition assistance to all qualified officers and enlisted members pursuing a college degree, high school diploma, or the equivalent, as well as those enrolled in qualified certificate programs at an accredited school or agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

To learn about TA rules and qualifications for other branches of the military, visit

Who is eligible?

Personnel eligible for TA include:

- Enlisted members who have retainability that extends beyond the course end date

- Those who are eligible to reenlist

- Officers agreeing to an active-duty service commitment (ADSC) of two years from the completion date of the latest course taken with TA (commitment runs concurrently with any present ADSC)

What are the requirements for using TA?

- You must be an active duty service member.

- You must have a degree plan on record, and the course or courses for which you are enrolling must count toward your degree plan. The degree plan must be recorded on your AF Portal, not necessarily with Centenary.

- The course or courses for which you are requesting TA must start within 30 days of your TA request.

- You must maintain a 2.0 grade point average.


Tuition assistance covers:

$250 per semester credit hour

$4,500 maximum per fiscal year


How do I apply?

You must apply for TA online using the Air Force Virtual Education Center, accessed through the Air Force Portal.

Information about the process can be found at


Applying for VA Benefits


TITLE 29 - State Dependent Tuition Exemption

The Title 29 tuition waiver is for students attending Louisiana public colleges and universities.  As a private institution, Centenary cannot grant this exemption.  However, for qualified undergraduate students seeking their first bachelors degree, Centenary will cover any tuition expenses that remain after federal and/or state awards have been applied.  Proof of eligibility is required.

Contact Info

Office of Financial Aid

2911 Centenary Boulevard, Shreveport, LA 71104

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.