Below are a list of frequently asked questions that will help to advise students. 


Does Centenary have terms or semesters?

Centenary has two main semesters that have two terms each. The Fall Semester is a combination of the August Term (the first three weeks of August) and the Fall Term (late August through Mid-December). The Spring Semester is a combination of the Spring Term (early January through early May) and the May Term (three weeks in May). Centenary also offers optional Summer Terms. Students can take a class for the full six weeks or take a three-week course during June or July.

What is the difference between a full-time and a part-time student?

A full-time undergraduate student is one that is currently enrolled in 12-18 hours per fall and spring terms. Part-time is a student enrolled in fewer than 12 hours. The lines blur a bit since the August and May terms are part of the fall and spring semesters respectively. Students should check with the Financial Aid Office before dropping below 12 hours during the Fall or Spring Terms to make sure that doing so does not impact access to financial aid or athletic eligibility.

How do I access a list of my current advisees?

In BannerWeb, this feature is found under Faculty and Advisor Tools. Instructions for use are located on Faculty BannerWeb Self Service Resources page.

  1. Go to and log in using your Centenary email address and password
  2. Select Faculty Self Service
  3. Select Advisee Profile and Registration
  4. Select the correct term from the dropdown menu
  5. Click on View My Advisee Listing

How do I access my advisee’s transcript?

  1. Go to and log in using your Centenary email address and password
  2. Select Faculty Self Service
  3. Select Advisee Profile and Registration
  4. Select the correct term from the dropdown menu
  5. Select the radio button by Student ID
  6. Type in the ID number of your advisee and press the Enter key
  7. Select View Profile
  8. Select Academic Transcript from the menu on the left (underneath the profile picture) 

Can a student “double-dip” with courses on the degree plan?

A single course may be used several times on the degree plan, though credit hours may only be counted once.

Example: HIST 321. This class may be used within the history major, as a humanities Explorations core, and as part of the 30 hours of 300+ level course work. The course might possibly also count toward a political science major or minor. Another example is CHEM 201/211. This course combination (lecture and lab) may count as a natural science foundation core, as part of chemistry major, and supportive course for a second major and/or minor.

Do Centenary in Paris (CiP) courses count toward Core degree requirements?

No, Centenary in Paris (CiP) courses are not approved as Core courses.

How do transfer credits fit into the core requirements?

The Explorations core requirements are considered by the hours and not the number of courses completed, so transfer students may still need to take more Explorations courses to complete the requirement.

Centenary requires the following:

  • Natural Sciences (8 hours and two labs)
  • Social Sciences (6-8 hours)
  • Humanities (12 hours)
  • Symbolic Reasoning (3-4 hours)

Most of the credits that transfer into Centenary are 3 hour classes. If a student transfers in, for example, ENGL 102, HIST 205 and 206, which are each 3 hour courses, these three classes may count as 9 hours of Humanities core classes. However, since Centenary requires 12 hours of Humanities credit to satisfy core, the student must take or transfer in an additional course to earn the minimum 12 hours.

What are the reasons a student may have an account hold? Where should I send them to resolve holds?

Account holds are used when important deadlines have passed and a student has not fulfilled an obligation. Only certain holds will prevent registration and/or graduation:

  • Judicial holds (see Director of Student Conduct)
  • Business Office holds for $500 or more (see Business Office)
  • Missing required documentation (see Registrar)

Holds may also be placed by the Library (overdue materials or fines), Financial Aid (student loan exit interview required), DPS (must update emergency contact information in BannerWeb), or Health Services (missing medical records). 

The student should go to the office that placed the hold - Registrar’s Office, Library, Business Office, Student Life, etc. - to learn the reasons for the hold and how to resolve it.

What should I consider when advising a student to drop or remain in a class?

Advising a student to drop or not has several considerations:

  • Will it take a student below full-time hours?
    This may have implications for Athletic eligibility and Financial Aid. Students who fail to complete 12 hours for two consecutive semesters will lose their institutional aid, a decision that can be petitioned and reinstated with support from my office and approval from the Financial Aid Committee. If in doubt, consult the Financial Aid Office. Keep in mind that semesters at Centenary include immersion terms (August + Fall and Spring + May) so that a student may fall below 12 hours in the Fall or Spring term but still complete 12 hours or more during a single semester.

  • Does it impact a student’s progress toward degree completion?
    This might include altering a student’s path to a degree if, for instance, the dropped course is a prerequisite for a major requirement.
  • Does dropping prevent a senior from graduating?
    For example, if a Biology major drops BIOL 101, 202, or 204, this may delay progress by one year due to course sequencing because the student will need to complete the dropped course before moving on to upper-level courses. Likewise, for a student earning a degree with a foreign language supportive requirement, dropping a language course will delay progress toward completion of the supportive requirement.

Despite these many considerations, it is sometimes important for a student to drop a course, and students should be reminded that there is no shame in dropping a course and trying again in another semester.


What is the college’s Repeat/Replace Policy?

The policy states, “Students may repeat once any course at Centenary for which credit has been earned to improve their grade. Hour credit toward graduation is earned only once per each course. An exception would be courses which are permitted to be repeated for credit.”

A student must be registered for the course the second time before turning in the Repeat/Replace Course Request Form. The highest grade earned in a course will replace previous grades earned. The Repeat/Replace option will affect cumulative GPA, but will not retroactively affect the academic standing for previous terms. All grades earned in all repeated courses will appear on student transcripts. This includes the original course grade.

Special Note: Medical schools, law schools and other graduate programs may recalculate your cumulative GPA using all grades on your transcript.

A Repeat/Replace request may impact financial aid and scholarship eligibility.

What is the difference between a dual degree and a double major?

A dual degree refers to two BA degrees, two BS degrees, or a BA and a BS degree. The dual degree requires a minimum of 154 credit hours for completion. A student earning a dual degree will declare a separate major for each degree and can earn credits toward a minor as well. If a student is working toward two degrees, a BA and a BS, the student will need to fulfill the language requirement for the BA (FLNG 101 & 102) and the math/statistics requirement for the BS degree (MATH 115 and MATH 201 or a statistics class).

A double major means that a student earns one degree with two major fields of study. This requires 124 total credit hours and can be a BA or a BS degree. Special note: If a student earns one degree with a second major that is a different degree type (eg a BS in Biology with a second major in Psychology, which is a BA) the student does not have to fulfill the language requirements for the BA because there is only one degree (BS in our example). If you are not sure how this works or you have further questions, please speak with someone in the Registrar’s Office.

Can a student triple major at Centenary?

No. If a student wants the equivalent of three majors, they must earn two degrees (154 required hours) with one of the degrees having two majors. It is not possible to declare three major fields of study for one degree, nor is it possible to have two majors for two degrees. Three is the maximum number of majors allowed and requires that the student earn two degrees.

When should a student declare their major? When can they change/add majors or minors?

New students are asked to submit a Declare a Major form during SOAR. Students are encouraged to declare a major as soon as possible. Majors can easily be changed during the first and second year, so students should not feel that they are stuck with their initial choice.

Degree plans are due by the spring semester of their sophomore year. Majors and minors can be changed at any time by submitting a major/minor change form. Second majors and minors may also be added at any time by submitting a major/minor declaration form

When and how can a student change to a different advisor?

A student can change advisors at any time by submitting an advisor change form to the Registrar’s Office. A student can also add advisors for second majors or minors by submitting an add advisor form. Students are responsible for reaching out to potential advisors to ask for their approval prior to submitting the form. 

My advisee wants to change their major/advisor. What do I need to do?

Direct the student to the advisor change form on the Registrar’s Office forms page. The student must complete the form, obtain all the necessary signatures, and submit the form to the Registrar’s Office. Once the form has been turned in, check your list of advisees in BannerWeb to make sure your student has been assigned their new advisor. Send any files to the student’s new advisor.

How can I get a student enrolled in a closed class?

Email the instructor and/or the department chair and copy the Registrar’s Office at Be sure to include the student’s name, ID number, and the course name and number being added. If the instructor approves the add, the Registrar's Office will add the student to the class. 

How do I register a student for an Independent Study?

The professor who will supervise the independent study must complete the Faculty Scheduling Add a Class Form  (This can be found under the Information for Faculty tab on the Registrar’s Office webpage.) Once this form has been submitted, the Registrar’s Office will create the class and enroll the student.

What are the different options for a student to fulfill the foreign language requirement?

A student has several options for fulfilling Centenary’s B.A. foreign language requirement (two semesters). They may:

  1. Complete foreign language courses (must be the same language) at the 101 and 102 level at Centenary.
  2. Use dual enrollment credits or transfer credits to count for foreign language 101 and 102.
  3. Take the French or Spanish placement test during SOAR to determine their level of proficiency and, possibly, earn credits for foreign language 101, 102, 201, and/or 202. Placement tests can be administered only to students who have never attended a college foreign language class, including dual enrollment classes.

International students (indicated by a student id number that begins “999) may fulfill any foreign language requirements by taking a placement exam. Centenary only offers placement exams for French and Spanish, but we will accept any language credits (except sign language) that are transcripted by an accredited college.

How should a student go about completing courses during the summer at other institutions?

Centenary accepts credits from accredited colleges. Advise the student to complete the Transfer Equivalency Course Form prior to registering. This will prevent students from taking classes that later will not transfer or fulfill degree requirements. Students must make a C or better in order to transfer a class back to Centenary. After final grades have been posted, the student must send an official copy of their transcript to the Registrar's Office ( 

How do I enroll an advisee who is planning to study abroad?

Study abroad experiences must be coordinated with the Office of Global Engagement. A learning agreement will be created to determine how the credit will transfer back to Centenary. The Registrar's Office will then enroll the student in a 300-level study abroad class for 12 credit hours. Once the student has finished their study abroad time and an official final transcript has been received, the 12 hour 300-level study abroad class is then replaced by the individual courses that transfer, as determined by the learning agreement.

Do international students need to fulfill the Trek 351: Culture requirement to earn a degree?

International students (indicated by a student id number that begins “999) do not have to earn credit for Trek 351: Culture.

When are degree plans due in the Registrar’s Office?

As early as possible after deciding upon a major field, students should, in consultation with their faculty advisors, plan the remainder of their degree programs, so that they may proceed in an orderly way to meet major and degree requirements. Students must file their degree plans, approved by their advisors and endorsed by the Registrar, by the end of the spring of their sophomore year. If not received by the end of the spring of their sophomore year, a hold will be placed on the student’s account until degree plan is turned in to the Office of the Registrar. Junior and senior transfers are expected to file a degree plan before the end of their first semester of residency. Most students find it advisable to file a degree plan upon declaring a major.

What is the Degree Completion Policy?

The Degree Completion Plan states that, “Students who have not completed the necessary coursework but are within 8 credits of the total required for graduation may apply to participate in the Commencement exercises preceding their degree completion.”

In order for the application to be approved, the student must submit to the Registrar's Office a plan for how and when they will complete remaining requirements for graduation. The deadline for completing all remaining degree requirements is the end of the Fall Semester (December) of the same calendar year of Commencement.

Students in a Centenary sponsored 3/2 program who are within 8 hours of fulfilling graduation requirements and who have been admitted to a partner institution to complete their studies, may process at commencement. No degree will be granted nor diploma issued until all the degree requirements are fulfilled.

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.