Charlton H. Lyons Faculty Research Award
Award for a scholar in the entire range of academic, professional, or artistic fields to engage in research, writing, exhibition, or performance. This award shall not support efforts to attain an advanced degree or to pay summer salary.
Priority will be given to full-time faculty members who are in a continuing status with at least one year of teaching experience at the College. However, full-time faculty in their first year are also eligible.
The Provost’s office will solicit proposals early in the fall semester. The deadline for submission of these proposals is February 1 or the next working day. The Faculty Development Committee will evaluate these proposals and make recommendations to the Provost.
The faculty member is responsible for submitting a proposal to the Provost’s Office that will include the following:
- A description of the purpose of the proposed project. This statement should offer specific details on the project, written at a level understandable by faculty colleagues.
- If this is a continuing project, the applicant must provide information on how previous awards have advanced the project.
- The applicant must provide an itemized budget for the award funds.
- Successful proposals must demonstrate reasonable promise of publication or presentation at a scholarly conference, production of an original work of art, significant enhancement of the applicant's knowledge or teaching skills, or curricular, cultural, or intellectual development.
- Unsuccessful candidates will enter the pool of Faculty Research Awards. To be considered for that award, the faculty member should include a paragraph in their proposal explaining how the project would change given the budget of the Faculty Research Award.
The College will make one award of $2,500.00 for one spring/summer. To claim reimbursement, you must submit original receipts within 60 days of incurring the expense. Preference will be given to faculty who receive less than $2,500 of support funds from the College. The award shall be payable after June 1 of the award year. Advances up to $2,000 will be made with approval of the Provost's Office. To claim reimbursement, you must submit original receipts within 60 days of incurring the expense.
The Faculty Development Committee and the Provost will generate interest in the award, encourage faculty to apply, review each proposal, interview finalists if necessary, and select a recipient. The President will confirm the selection. The Faculty Development Committee will only select a recipient whose project will bring honor and recognition to Centenary. In addition, small scale projects that can receive support from other funding sources will not be considered for this award.
Awardees will submit a report (with detailed expenditure report) on the work accomplished by October 15 of the semester following the award. Failure to submit a research report in a timely fashion will adversely affect subsequent awards.
You may contact the Provost's Office for proposals from past years to use as a guide.
Previous Recipients of the Charlton Lyons Award
(formerly the Alumni Association Award)
Edward F. Haas
Arnold M. Penuel
Edmond M. Parker
L. Hughes Cox
Stanton A. Taylor
Michael Hall & Barry Nass
Art & Visual Culture
Art & Visual Culture