Cox Scholarship Overview
With this scholarship, the Philosophy Department recognizes a student's achievements in philosophy and encourages him or her to continue the study of philosophy with energy and diligence.The L. Hughes Cox Endowed Scholarship Fund was created in honor of Dr. L. Hughes Cox, Centenary professor of philosophy from 1967 to 2000. Dr. Cox was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Wabash College, received an S.T.B. in Theology from Boston University School of Theology, and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Philosophy from Yale University. An active scholar, Dr. Cox published in both religious studies and philosophy.During the Fall semester, the Philosophy Department will select a candidate meeting the following conditions:
- The student has declared a major or minor in philosophy.
- The chosen student has maintained a 2.5 cumulative GPA and a 3.0 average in his or her philosophy courses.
- The student must show promise in the study of philosophy as determined by the Philosophy Department.
- The student has not received previous scholarships which will cover his or her full tuition costs.
- The scholarship will be awarded to a student above the first-year level.
Before receiving the funds, the chosen student must submit to the Chair of the Department of Philosophy a paper debating the pros and/or cons of having philosophy courses in logic and/or ethics remain as an integral part of a college's core curriculum. The purpose of this paper is for the student to reflect on his/her feelings about philosophy. This is an introspective assignment. The student must turn in the paper in a timely manner in order to receive the award.
Winners of the Cox Scholarship
- 2016-2017 Cecilia Rodriguez
- 2013-2014 Greg Ewing
- 2012-2013 Michael Naquin
- 2011-2012 Scott Oliver Myers
- 2010-2011 Jacquelyn Batson
- 2008-2009 A.J. Scamp
- 2008-2009 Lacey Anderson (Charles Beaird Award in Philosophy)
- 2007-2008 Jason Blilie
- 2006-2007 Christopher DeGuerce
- 2005-2006 Devin Rourke
- 2004-2005 Greg Hogan
- 2003-2004 Alex Lu