THE LATEST: Stay updated on Centenary's COVID-19 response. Learn More.


Music faculty members work with students to help them find internship and independent study opportunities while taking our MUS 400, Internship; or MUS 491-495, Independent Study courses. Recent projects have included an independent study in "Music in Animation" for a student who was also interning at Shreveport's Moonbot Studios.



content figure
Eta Lambda Chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota

There are many opportunities in the Shreveport area to work in church music, audition for amateur theatrical productions, play in the pit orchestra for a musical, or sing in the chorus of the Shreveport Opera. On campus, students can volunteer to host a music program on the College radio station, intern at the Meadows Museum, be a student recording engineer at the School of Music, or work in the music library.

The Hurley School of Music is home to the Eta Lambda Chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota, the International Music Fraternity for women.

Our music ensembles offer many opportunities for both music majors and non-majors alike to participate in great music-making, while enjoying collegial relationships with other students in the group and with faculty members. See our Ensembles page for more detailed information.

Hurley also hosts Spotlight on Opera, a summer intensive professional development program for career-track and avocational singers. Although this program draws students from throughout the nation, Centenary students are encouraged to apply and offered financial assistance if admitted. Spotlight produces two mainstage products, as well as a children’s opera, and other smaller concert performances in the region during their five-week residence at Centenary.

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy As To Students The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.