Explore the topics below for information about housing policies, room selection, what to bring (and what not to bring) to campus, residence life staff, and much, much more.

If you have a question that is not answered here, contact the Office of Residence Life at housing@centenary.edu or 318.869.5110.

Living on Campus

What are the advantages of a residential campus?

There are quite a few:

  • Students who live on campus at Centenary get better grades and are more likely to stay in school and graduate than those who do not.
  • All of the residence halls are within easy walking distance of the Fitness Center, the SUB, the Caf, the library, and the academic buildings. That means you can still make it to class if you're running late, and don't have to worry about finding a parking space!
  • The residence halls are extremely safe, with Centenary police officers and Residence Life staff on patrol and on duty seven days a week.
  • It's fun! The House Councils and Residence Life staff provide activities for each floor and building, and the Residence Hall Association, the Centenary Activities Board (CAB), and other student organizations plan campus-wide activities. There's always something going on.

Who is required to live on campus?

All undergraduate students enrolled in at least eight credit hours are required to live on campus during the fall and spring semesters, unless they meet specific criteria for an exception.

The Exception Review Committee reviews requests for special exceptions. Exception requests are submitted to the Director of Residence Life.

What exceptions will be considered?

  • Students who are 23 years of age or older before the beginning of the fall semester
  • A specified number of Greek students (determined by the Dean of Students) wishing to reside in their Greek house
  • Students who are married, divorced, or a parent
  • Students who need special medical accommodations. These students should submit a medical request including documentation by a physician prior to the exception deadline or within two weeks of the diagnosis of a new condition.
  • Exception Review: Incoming students must submit exception requests prior to the deadline listed in new student housing mailings All requests for exceptions will be directed to the Director of Residence Life and reviewed by the Exception Review Committee.
  • Fees: Those who are granted approved exceptions after this deadline will be charged a $300 breach of contract fee. Once the semester has begun, room fees are not refundable for any reason.
  • More details: Please review the relevant sections in the Student Handbook.

How do I submit an exception request?

To request an exception, fill out the online Housing Accommodation and Off Campus Request form.

Do I have to have a meal plan?

All students who live on campus or in a Greek house are required to purchase a meal plan.

Commuting students may also purchase a meal plan or put "declining balance" dollars on their ID cards to purchase meals at the Caf or Randle's.

For more information on meal plan options, or to request special meal accommodations or exceptions, please contact Dining Services.

What is a floor meeting? Do I have to go?

At the beginning and end of each semester and other times as needed, each Resident Assistant (RA) calls a floor meeting. These meetings give the community a chance to come together as a group and are an opportunity for the staff member to explain policies and procedures.

Students who miss floor meetings are fined an amount set by their peers. If students cannot make a meeting, they must contact their RA at least 24 hours in advance to make other arrangements.

Where can I find housing policies and rules?

Housing policies and campus community standards are posted in the online Student Handbook. They will also be explained to you at your first floor meeting when you arrive on campus.


Does financial aid cover my housing expenses?

General information about financial aid at Centenary is available on the financial aid webpages, but you should always contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions about your specific situation.

Ability to pay is not a consideration in any housing assignment or exemption decisions.



Can I request a roommate?

Yes! We encourage students to pick their own roommates. You should put the name of your preferred roommate on your application. We attempt to honor all roommate requests that are mutual.

Can I change my housing and roommate assignment before the school year starts?

Once your roommate has been officially assigned (usually in July) it is too late to make or change a roommate request.

Can I change rooms once I arrive on campus?

A housing "freeze" occurs at the beginning of each semester, so no room or roommate changes may occur until two weeks after the beginning of classes.

All changes require the approval of the Director of Residence Life or designee and must first involve the student's Resident Assistant. A $25 room change fee is assessed to each student making a room change.

For more information, consult the relevant section in the Student Handbook.

What is a roommate contract? Why do I need one?

Many students who attend Centenary have never shared a room with someone before, or have only shared a room with a sibling. The Residence Life staff understands that this transition can be stressful, so every incoming student fills out a roommate contract that gives roommates the opportunity to discuss study and sleep habits, guests in the room, how each person handles conflict, and other items related to living together.

Roommate contracts help open communication lines between roommate pairs in the beginning, so if problems do arise they are better equipped to work through them.

If my roommate doesn't show up, do I get a single room?

No. Students without roommates enter the Room Consolidation process, during which they will likely find a new roommate or be assigned one.


Moving In and Break Closures

Where do I go on check-in day?

On check-in/move-in day, you should go to your assigned residence hall unless otherwise notified. You will be given your key and your Room Condition Report (RCR).

The RCR is important because it is used to record the condition of the room at the beginning of the year and is used at the end of the year to bill for any damages that occur.

Can I move in earlier than the advertised check-in date?

No. We cannot allow students to move in before the official opening because our staff is training up until the time the residence halls open. Students will be notified of the check-in date months in advance so that everyone can plan accordingly.

Students who are required to return to campus early (varsity athletes, choir members, orientation staff, and residence life staff) should contact their faculty/staff sponsor for details on special housing arrangements.

When are the residence halls open and closed?

During the academic year, the residence halls are "closed"* during the major breaks (those that are at least one week long). During shorter breaks, the residence halls remain open, though some other campus services (the Caf, the Fitness Center, and the library) may have reduced hours or be closed.

*Although the residence halls are "closed" during these periods, students may make arrangements to stay for a fee. See the next question for more details!

Can I stay in my room during a break?

During shorter breaks (less than one week), you may stay in your room and no fee will be charged.

During breaks of one week or longer, the residence halls are officially "closed" but you may stay for a fee that helps offset the cost of keeping the halls open and staffed.

Students who are required by Centenary to stay during breaks (athletes, choir members, theater participants, etc.) are not charged for the days that they are required to be present, but are charged for any additional days they wish to stay.

Can I stay on campus during the summer?

Summer housing is available to all students (space permitting) whether or not they are enrolled in summer classes.

Summer housing is usually in the Rotary Apartments, as Dining Services is closed during the summer. Living in the apartments allows students to cook more easily.


Room Features

What is provided in each residence hall room?

Each room at Centenary is provided with:

  • 2 beds
  • 2 desks
  • 2 chairs
  • 2 dressers
  • 2 internet jacks (network card and cable required - wifi also provided)
  • 2 phone jacks
  • 1 cable jack

Cline has two smaller closets per room. James, Hardin, and Sexton have one larger step-in shared closet per room. Most Rotary apartments have two larger closets per room.

Services provided include internet (wired and wireless), basic cable, and free local phone service. Long distance phone service is available by calling the Business Office at 318.869.5125.

Are the rooms carpeted?

In Cline, James, Hardin, and Sexton, the rooms are tiled and hallways are carpeted.

In the Rotary Apartments, bedrooms and hallways are carpeted.

You can add carpet to a room, but it must be removed from the building prior to check-out and must leave the floor in the same condition it was in at move-in.

What are the dimensions of the residence hall rooms?

The average dimensions of each room are listed on the individual residence hall pages. Average window dimensions are listed as well.

You can access the individual residence hall pages here.

Can I decorate and rearrange my room?

Sure! But there are some rules to follow.

  • Many students personalize their rooms by adding pictures from home and posters on the walls, but the walls cannot be painted or permanently decorated.
  • Carpet can be added to rooms, but it must be removed from the building prior to check out and must leave the floor in the same condition it was at move-in.
  • You may move the furniture in your room as long as you do not damage it and maintain a clear and direct path to the door.
  • You can adjust the height of the bed to be higher or lower (the highest setting allows for the provided dresser to slide underneath). College furniture must not be altered in any way or used in a manner different from its design. Decals and stickers should not be applied to College property.
  • You can decorate your room or suite doors, but you are also responsible for any damages to those surfaces. Decorations visible from public areas must be appropriate.

Please tell me you have internet in the residence halls!!!!

Of course!

Apogee is our ISP (internet service provider).

You can sign up for the service at https://www.myresnet.com/.

Some helpful links are below:

Introductory letter

Get Connected Guide

Apogee Contact Information:
Phone - 877.478.8868

Text "ResNet" to 847000

Email - support@MyResNet.com




Bunk beds and lofts

What's the difference between a bunk and a loft?

Bunking beds is putting one bed on top of the other bed.

Lofting a bed is putting it on "stilts," creating a top bunk with empty space below.

Do I need to bunk or loft my bed?

No. There is space in each room for the beds, desks, chairs, and dressers that the College provides, as well as the personal belongings that each student brings. However, students tend to bring more to college than they need (!) and much, much more than in decades past, so some students find it helpful to bunk or loft their beds to create more floor space.

How tall are the beds when bunked, lofted, or resting on the floor?

All Centenary beds are adjustable, so you can put them very low to the floor or raise them up to fit the provided dresser under the bed, which creates room for additional storage and creates more floor space in the room.

Beds can also be raised lower or higher with the bunk and loft set-ups.

I think I want to bunk or loft my bed. What do I do?

Centenary rents bunk kits for $15 per year and loft kits for $25 per year.

Supplies are limited, but we anticipate having enough kits for all students who want to bunk or loft their beds. Only one loft kit is permitted per room until all students have an opportunity to request a loft kit. Students in double rooms (with roommates) have priority over those in single rooms (without roommates).

Students can sign up for bunk or loft kits when moving in.


What to Bring (and what not to bring)

You might want to bring (or buy after arrival)...

  • Alarm clock
  • Bathroom towels and bathmat
  • Bedding and pillow (twin extra long sheets are recommended - mattress is 78" long)
  • Carpet
  • Computer
  • Dishware (cup, bowl, plate, fork, knife, spoon)
  • Fan
  • Laundry detergent (liquid recommended)
  • Phone (mobile phone recommended, but there is a land line jack in the room)
  • Surge protector multiple outlet device (only power bars/strips with a built-in surge protector will be allowed - it will have a "reset" button)

Can I have a pet?

The only animals (other than humans) allowed in residence hall rooms are exclusively aquatic animals (fish, some crabs, some turtles) and service or support animals with prior approval.

All aquatic animals must be kept in an aquarium at all times, and aquariums may not be larger than 15 gallons.

Owners/guardians are responsible for cleaning up after and caring for their animals. Owners/guardians may have to remove animals from the building immediately if there are offensive odors or allergy concerns.

Can I lift weights in my room?

Barbells, weight lifting equipment, and dumbbells weighing 5 pounds or less are allowed in campus residence halls. All weights over 5 pounds are not allowed. There is a wide assortment of equipment available in the Centenary Fitness Center.

Can I burn a candle or incense?

Candles and incense may not be burned in the residence halls, and partially burned candles or incense are also not allowed. In fact, the burning of any substance (other than cigarettes in approved outdoor smoking areas) is not allowed in or around any residential building.

Electric scented wax melters (aka: candle warmers) are allowed. Candles that were never burned and have had the wicks cut off may be used in electric melters/candle warmers.

Can I bring appliances?

Students may have one microwave (no more than 900 watts) and one refrigerator under 1.8 amps per room. Using a microwave/refrigerator combination unit with a single plug prevents the refrigerator from cycling on when the microwave is in use, thus avoiding tripping a circuit breaker.

Clothes irons, coffee pots, and candle warmers are allowed but may not be left unattended when turned on and/or plugged in when not in use.

Appliances with exposed heating elements or very hot surfaces are generally not allowed (see some exceptions below). Appliances not allowed in any residential building include, but are not limited to: toaster ovens, electric skillets, fryers, open electric grills, halogen lights, and space heaters.

Crock pots, slow cookers, and closed electric grills (i.e. George Foreman grills) may be used in the kitchen areas only.

Do I have to use a surge protector?

Yes. Multiple socket plugs are only allowed if they include a surge protector. Even with the use of a surge protector, students should never have several high-drain appliances in use simultaneously.

Students in areas where circuit breakers need to be reset may be required to reduce the number of electric and electronic devices in use to conform to the capacity of the electrical system.

Can I bring a car to campus?

Yes, many students bring cars with them. Centenary is small enough that students can conveniently walk everywhere on campus, though.

Vehicles must be registered online through the Department of Public Safety's website under Vehicle Registration. You will need a valid driver's license and the license plate number of your vehicle to register, and you will receive a parking permit through campus mail.

Does the College provide insurance on my belongings?

Centenary College assumes no responsibility for your personal belongings. Some home owner policies do cover dependents living on campus, so check your family's individual policy for more information. If you find that it does not cover your belongings, there are several companies that will cover you for a nominal fee.


Get Involved

What's a House Council?

House Councils are the governing bodies of each residential area. The officers of the Council serve their hall's students and work to promote a sense of community in each individual area and throughout the residence halls.

Each House Council sends its President and one other representative to serve on the General Board of the Residence Hall Association (RHA).

What is the Residence Hall Association (RHA)?

RHA represents resident students and meets their diverse needs through advocacy, educational and social programming, and facilitating open communication and mediation among residents, Hall Councils, and the administration of the College.

RHA includes the Executive Council, the General Board, and the House Councils. Students in each residential area elect fellow students to their respective House Councils and to RHA. These representative governing bodies plan activities, have a voice in setting community standards, provide leadership training on campus, and attend regional and national conferences. RHA also sets sanctioning guidelines for some residential student conduct cases and hears appeals.

To get involved, contact rha@centenary.edu.

What is National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)?

NRHH recognizes and encourages excellence in Centenary's on-campus residential community.

NRHH inducts the top 1% of Centenary students as members, recognizing those who contribute to student life in the residence halls through appreciation efforts and events. NRHH also coordinates the submission of bids for regional and national awards, including "..of the Month" honors awarded by the Southwest Affiliate of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls (SWACURH).

Each month, Centenary selects deserving individuals, programs, and organizations as campus winners in a variety of "...best of" categories, and these winners are then submitted to be considered as Regional winners. Representatives from all over the region vote for OTMs, and those with the most votes are declared Regional winners and are eligible to compete nationally.


Residence Life Staff

What are Resident Assistants (RAs)?

Resident Assistants are the backbone of our residence life program. These student leaders are hired after a selective screening process and receive training on mediation, activity planning, policy enforcement, handling emergencies, and other important topics.

RAs are responsible for upholding community standards, mentoring students, and helping build a sense of community in each residential area.

How do I contact the Residence Life Staff?

Meet the current Residence Life staff here!

I want to be an RA! How do I apply?

Information about applying for the 2017-2018 Residence Life staff will be available later in the academic year.

If you have questions about being an RA, contact any member of the Residence Life staff.


Room Selection for Current Students

How is the room selection order determined?

The first consideration for room selection order is the number of academic credit hours each student has earned. GPA is the next factor considered.

The more credits you have and the higher your GPA, the better your selection number will be.

More detailed information about room selection order and the selection process will be available later in the academic year.

Do I need a roommate to go through Room Selection?

Students are not required to have a roommate or suitemates to go through Room Selection, but since the selection process prioritizes full suites, it helps your chances of choosing the room you want.

Students selecting the Rotary Apartments must have a full apartment prior to Room Selection.

Rooms are designed to be shared by two people, though single rooms are available as space permits. Students are encouraged to explore roommate, suitemate, or apartmentmate options with other current students instead of waiting to be assigned or consolidated with another student.

How do I select an apartment in Rotary?

Students who wish to live in the Rotary Apartments must have the entire apartment filled to its designated capacity at the time of Room Selection. Most of the apartments are two bedroom units, although there are a few one bedroom or studio/efficiency units.

What if I can't make it to Room Selection?

If you cannot be present for the Room Selection process, you may designate another student to serve as your proxy, or substitute, on your selection form. You proxy will take your signed form and select on your behalf, so be sure to provide your proxy with your preferences. Your proxy does not have to be your roommate.

Please remember that you are giving your proxy the authority to select your room!

What will the room and board rates be?

The current year's tuition and room and board rates (residence hall and dining plan costs) will be updated on the Costs page.


Campus Services

Where can I study?

There are a variety of places on campus (in addition to your room!) that are great for studying. All residence halls have a Main Lounge and most have additional study rooms and computer labs.

The Library, the Student Union Building, and the academic buildings also provide studying spaces - many academic buildings are open late in the evenings, allowing students to study and use science and computer labs.

You'll also find many students studying outside on benches and lawns or in hammocks.

Can I get mail on campus?

Yes! The Centenary Post Office is located on the lower level of the SUB. Each student is issued a mailbox and is required to check it regularly.

Mail can be sent to:

Your name
Campus Box #
2911 Centenary Boulevard
Shreveport, LA 71104

Packages can be sent to your campus mailbox, and the post office will notify you via a note in your box.

Where do I go if I get sick?

Centenary's Health Services office located at the south end of Rotary Hall (the door facing Kings Highway).

Services offered include "first care," consultation, wellness programs, and provider referrals that meet the need of the majority of students.

If students need emergency care during non-operational hours, they should notify a Department of Public Safety officer at 318.869.5000 and the officer will contact appropriate medical personnel.

Are counseling services available on campus?

Yes. The Counseling Center provides students with brief, solution-focused counseling that enables them to cope with personal problems that may impede their success as college students. Referrals to community resources can also be made.

Counseling is provided free of charge to all currently enrolled Centenary students. Confidentiality is strictly maintained.

The Counseling Center is located at the south end of Rotary, along with Health Services. The phone number is 318.869.5466.


Campus Safety

Are the residence halls locked?

All exterior residence hall doors are locked 24 hours a day. They are accessible only to students who live in a given area and to appropriate staff.

When are residence life and security staff on duty?

Residence Life staff and police officers of the Department of Public Safety (DPS) patrol the residence halls every night.

What is the Department of Public Safety (DPS)?

DPS employs police officers who are commissioned by the State of Louisiana. These officers have the same law enforcement powers, authority, and responsibilities as a state/city police officer or sheriff's deputy, including the power of arrest. DPS has an officer on duty 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

In addition to providing campus security, DPS offers services and programs designed to deter theft, self-defense classes, and assistance in understanding the basics of preventive car maintenance before travel.

To learn more about how DPS officers keep students safe and informed, visit the DPS website.

Does the campus have emergency phones?

There are emergency phones located at the main entrance to each residential building, by the Hurley School of Music, the SUB, the Arboretum, by the Smith Building near parking lot 6, in Parking Lot 11, and by the Gold Dome.

Contact Info

Office of Residence Life

Moore Student Union Building, Lower Level

2911 Centenary Boulevard, Shreveport, LA 71104

Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.