Employees who are injured as a result of an accident in the course of their employment or diagnosed with an occupational disease (an illness resulting from long-term employment in a particular type of work, such as black lung disease among miners, or cancer among asbestos installers), and the injury or illness is identified by Louisiana statue as compensable by law, then the injury or illness is covered by the Louisiana Workers' Compensation Act. The rate of pay for an employee receiving worker's compensation and the period of time they are eligible to receive compensation are fixed by the Act. The College pays for the entire cost of the program in behalf of its employees. Personal group medical insurance cannot be used for eligible job-related injury or illness covered by the Workers' Compensation Act. The College provides this coverage to all full-time and part-time staff and faculty, student workers, and volunteers.

What To Do If Injured on the Job

  1. Call 911 if the injury is a medical emergency and contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at extension 5000 for emergency medical backup until other medical help arrives.
    • A medical emergency is when medical treatment is required other than basic first aid like the application of a Band-Aid or antiseptic to a minor cut or scrape.
  2. Initial medical treatment is provided through Willis Knighton WorkKare at 2724 Greenwood Road Shreveport, LA 71109 Phone: 318-212-4750. Please complete and take the WorkKare Authorization form with you.
    • If necessary, contact HR and we will send you a form.
  3. Immediately report all injuries to your supervisor, DPS, and Human Resources (HR).
  4. Contact the DPS by dialing 5000 from any campus phone or (318) 869-5000 from any cell phone. DPS will investigate the accident and complete an accident incident report which they will send to HR. DPS will follow up with other campus departments as necessary to remedy problems.
    • College policy requires that the accident be reported to the DPS so that an incident report can be completed.
  5. Contact HR at ext. 5191 as soon as possible by phone and by email to the Director of Human Resources at pnetherton@centenary.edu
  6. The supervisor of the injured employee is responsible for completing the Employer's First Report Injury/Illness Form and submitting it to HR as soon as possible. For assistance in filling out the form, contact the DPS at ext. 5000.
    • If necessary, contact HR and we will send you a form.
    • HR submits the completed form to the College's workers' compensation insurance carrier (Traveler’s Ins.) to initiate the claim.
  7. The supervisor inspects the site of the accident, counsels the employee, and provides constructive suggestions for preventing a similar accident in the future.

Things to note:

  • The First Report of Injury Report Form must be completed as soon as possible but no later than 30 days after the accident/injury.
  • Not reporting your injury immediately or not following medical treatment and follow-up as prescribed by the physician may give the workers' compensation carrier cause to deny your medical treatment. In this case, the College will not be responsible for related medical charges.
  • Eligibility for coverage by workers' compensation of an employee's accident or injury is determined by the insurance carrier in conjunction with the State of Louisiana. All requirements for eligibility for coverage, including drug testing, will apply. Employees declining to participate in drug testing will be presumed to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs, and their claims may be denied by the insurance carrier.
  • Inform your treating physician you are seeking treatment from a work site accident and the College’s Workers' Compensation insurance carrier is Traveler's Insurance. Local pharmacies generally bill Traveler's Insurance directly for prescriptions filled related to your injury. Should they require you to pay at the time of purchase submit your receipts to HR. Reimbursement will be sent to you directly from Traveler's Insurance.
    • If you fail to inform the treating physician the injury is work-related:
      • you will not receive any compensation for the time you take off work while treating your injuries if you elect to treat through your private health insurance carrier;
      • it is highly likely the private health insurance carrier will seek reimbursement for any amounts paid in connection with your treatment. They will seek this reimbursement personally from you.
  • Inform your treating physician that Centenary College has a modified work program and may be able to make accommodations for any restrictions.
  • If your physician determines you’re unable to work, provide written medical documentation to HR and your supervisor.
  • Contact your supervisor at least once a week throughout your absence to advise him/her of your progress.


Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy The institution does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or on any other basis proscribed by federal, state, or local law.